Why become a member? ×

Black Nylon strings...I had a problem

Dom in Dorset

I was playing a gig on one of the small stages at Glastonbury, during the second number I noticed that something felt wrong..
I was playing my acoustic fretless with black nylon strings (Picato), the nylon covering had come loose on my A string and was moving up and down the string under my finger, the tone of that string also went fuzzy and week. At the end of that number I took a look and made an attempt to remove the covering...silly idea, there must be about 100 yards of black tape wrapped around that thing. I then made a second mistake of trying to break the tape...
it cut my LH index finger!!! Nothing serious but rather anoying.
I think that the problem was caused by the fact that those were the strings that I used when I set the bass up, I had make a saddle ivory and nut, it was also my first fretless set up and I must have had those strings on and off about 50 times. The repeated up to tension, down again must have done some harm, also I suspect that high temperature also played a part.
In the end I pulled the tape tight and tucked the loose end under the bridge and played on. I had a spare set and replaced the string for my next gig. I'm keeping the old set for future set ups, I'll then put on a new set once I'm happy with it.

Odd that. But then you reckon they are old and you've had them on and off 50 times. You know why it broke.

I've never had any problems with my LaBella Black Nylon Tapes, they seem almost indestructable. I've had one set for about a year or so, they sound the same as when I bought them. I've had them on and off about ten times.

It does sound rather like you already know.. on and off 50 times is just stressful!
I've just put the Picato black nylons on an Overwater fretless; done two gigs so far and no probs at all. I love the tone.. closest thing to a pickupped DB I've had yet from an electric bass!

[quote name='Hutton' post='879644' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:28 AM']Black nylons on and off 50 times - now there's a thought! :)[/quote]
I'm surprised that it wasn't my G string that broke.
But seriously, I think that it hadn't fully understood the harm that the prolonged set up did. With an acoustic there's no screws to adjust so you file down the saddle bit at a time, it took bloody ages and I did get a bit anal about it, I still think "maybe I could just lower the...NO! STOP IT'S GOOD ENOUGH!!!"
From now on I'll use old strings to do the set up.
I posted this as a warning to others not to make my mistake and don't try to break the tape, it's tougher than human skin, it cuts like a razor.

I've seen the Picato folks putting the strings together.. how they don't rip bits off their hands I don't know!
By all means rough out the setup with old strings, but an experienced setterupper friend of mine says you need new strings for the final tweaks as old strings, even under tension, will be slightly kinked.

Even as I type that last word I can just sense some of the replies!

[quote name='hubrad' post='879662' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:46 AM']I've seen the Picato folks putting the strings together.. how they don't rip bits off their hands I don't know!
By all means rough out the setup with old strings, but an experienced setterupper friend of mine says you need new strings for the final tweaks as old strings, even under tension, will be slightly kinked.

Even as I type that last word I can just sense some of the replies![/quote]
I agree , it has to be new strings for the final 2%.
A kinky black nylon G string could cause all sorts of problems.