Why become a member? ×

Got myself a Status Empathy

ironside1966

Just got myself a Empathy £600 from fley bay the action was so low I had to change it
The output seem a little on the quiet side and the knobs seem in the wrong order from neck
PU balance, volume T MB also the bass seem a little subtle but not used through a rig yet

Great bass though

Nice example of a Matrix Empathy there & an astonishing price as well. As for your query on the controls, the two small controls at the top should be the same size knobs as the others on an Empathy. Someone's changed those. The one closest to the front pickup is the pickup pan & the one closest to the micro switch is the volume. That's the correct order on a Status :) The three lower controls are of course active treble/middle/bass. Does this bass have the two way micro switch or the three way?

It has a 3 way switch, cut, bypass, and boost on the down position.
I looked at the new preamps on the Status web site and they have surface mounted pots, this one has separated wired ones.
I can’t find an internal volume screw.
Anyone knows what to do with a status energy body? I had an accident with the neck

I suppose I could take it off your hands. I have a spare fretted neck knocking around from my Iceni fretless bass. Maybe it would fit? :) What sort of money would you be looking for on this? Also, are all of the electrics still on board? I'm only about an hour away from you, so I could always drop in for a look.

As for your output woes, there should be a plastic screw on the preamp board. If not, try moving the pickups closer to the strings. Rob recommends 4mm on the bridge pickup and 6mm on the neck pickup.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='ironside1966' post='879828' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:22 PM']It has a 3 way switch, cut, bypass, and boost on the down position.
I looked at the new preamps on the Status web site and they have surface mounted pots, this one has separated wired ones.
I can’t find an internal volume screw.
Anyone knows what to do with a status energy body? I had an accident with the neck[/quote]

An accident with the neck? Ouch. :)

Go on, tell us what happened - we're dying to know... :rolleyes:

M

[quote name='Muzz' post='880873' date='Jun 29 2010, 12:46 PM']An accident with the neck? Ouch. :)

Go on, tell us what happened - we're dying to know... :rolleyes:

M[/quote]

It was my own fault really.
There was a slight Bow in the neck so although the action was not bad I always felt it was stiff on the fingers, I like a clean bass with no rattles. When I adjusted the neck it always slipped back to its original state. So I had a brain wave and decided to change the truss rod nut. To cut a long story short the finger board rose when trying to get the nut off. Unfortunately now a slice has completely broken off after it fell over.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='880809' date='Jun 29 2010, 11:51 AM']I suppose I could take it off your hands. I have a spare fretted neck knocking around from my Iceni fretless bass. Maybe it would fit? :) What sort of money would you be looking for on this? Also, are all of the electrics still on board? I'm only about an hour away from you, so I could always drop in for a look.

As for your output woes, there should be a plastic screw on the preamp board. If not, try moving the pickups closer to the strings. Rob recommends 4mm on the bridge pickup and 6mm on the neck pickup.[/quote]

I don’t want to sell it just yet but thanks for the offer; you will be the firsts to know if I change my mind.
The electronics work fine but I have no idea of its worth.
This was a great bass with a distinctive sound completely different from the Empath.