Why become a member? ×

Rio Grande Pitbull vs EMG-SEHB

Cieran

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here goes...

I am looking for a direct replacement (with as little modding as possible) for my TV Jones Thunder'Tron which I currently have in my Gretsch G2202.

As far as I can tell the only likely candidates that are passive and are the same dimensions as a standard guitar humbucker are:

- Rio Grande Pitbull (14k) $100+
- EMG-SEHB Select Bass (8.2k) $25+

Does anyone have any experience with either of these pickups? I am ideally after as close to a p-bass sound as possible. Or does anyone know of any other candidates other than these two?

Many thanks

Edited by Cieran

The EMG-HB is a split rail humbucker in a P-like configuration. Can't speak specifically about the HZ/Select passive versions, but I have the active HBs in my Epiphone Les Paul bass, just slotted right in.

I think the Schaller Bassbucker is guitar humbucker sized, check the excellent techy info on the Schaller site:

[url="http://bass-pickups.com/hp135071/Bass-Humbucker.htm"]http://bass-pickups.com/hp135071/Bass-Humbucker.htm[/url]

[quote name='neepheid' post='878106' date='Jun 26 2010, 12:59 PM']The EMG-HB is a split rail humbucker in a P-like configuration. Can't speak specifically about the HZ/Select passive versions, but I have the active HBs in my Epiphone Les Paul bass, just slotted right in.

I think the Schaller Bassbucker is guitar humbucker sized, check the excellent techy info on the Schaller site:

[url="http://bass-pickups.com/hp135071/Bass-Humbucker.htm"]http://bass-pickups.com/hp135071/Bass-Humbucker.htm[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the info guys. Wasn't even aware of the Schaller humbucker - have also come across the DiMarzio Model One & model G, as well as the Seymour Duncan Hawkbucker, which are all guitar sized humbuckers.

The Schaller seems the best as far as I am concerned - have used Schaller gear before and from my experience it is quality made. Am I right in thinking the Schaller will be very p-bass sounding?

Also do you think it will make much of a difference over the TV Jones Thunder'Tron which is also a guitar sized humbucker? I am fairly new to the world of pickups and would rather not spend unnecessary money on getting a new one if it is not going to make that much difference.

The Thunder'Tron specs are: DC resistance - 4.8k, Inductance - 2.05 H, Pole to Pole .676", Alnico magnets (these figures mean nothing to me but thought someone else might understand them!)

I have only been playing bass for just under a year and the players that originally inspired me were JJ Burnel/ Stranglers, Bruce Foxton/ Jam, Paul Simonon/ Clash - I really dig that p-bass/ rick sound with Rotosound strings. However I know this information now but didn't when I orignally purchased my short-scale Gretsch G2202. It has been a really steep learning curve with all of this and so far I have swapped pickups, replaced/ soldered the electronics and given it a whole new paint job all by myself. I have also since gone on to buy a cheap squier p-bass.

So basically I don't know whether I should leave my Gretsch/Thunder'Tron bass as it is for a nice deep, boomy sound and then use my squier p-bass when i need a typical p-bass sound or whether I should try to make my Gretsch sound more p-bass like which will essentially give me 2 guitars with a similar sound and thus limit the range of sounds/ styles I can get with the 2 of them.

Thanks once again for the info....

Edited by Cieran

The EMG HB is basically the EMG P pickup squashed into a guitar humbucker sized case - yeah, they sound pretty good although it is an active pickup so may sound a little too harsh or bright in comparison to your TV Jones. The DiMarzio Model 1 has the narrow spacing you need but is not a guitar humbucker size or shape so won't fit your Gretsch. It's designed to drop into a Gibson Mudbucker neck position so won't tick any of your boxes. The Squier P will give you all the P growl you'd need and if you've got a nice TV pickup in your Gretsch already why not spend your hard earned on a DiMarzio/Wizard/Seymour Duncan/Lollar pickup for your Squier?

[quote name='henry norton' post='879634' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:20 AM']The EMG HB is basically the EMG P pickup squashed into a guitar humbucker sized case - yeah, they sound pretty good although it is an active pickup so may sound a little too harsh or bright in comparison to your TV Jones. The DiMarzio Model 1 has the narrow spacing you need but is not a guitar humbucker size or shape so won't fit your Gretsch. It's designed to drop into a Gibson Mudbucker neck position so won't tick any of your boxes. The Squier P will give you all the P growl you'd need and if you've got a nice TV pickup in your Gretsch already why not spend your hard earned on a DiMarzio/Wizard/Seymour Duncan/Lollar pickup for your Squier?[/quote]

Thanks for the info Henry. After weighing it up I think I will do as you suggested and stick with the Thunder'Tron - that way I have a larger range of sounds available from both basses.

Next on the agenda is saving enough money to get myself a Jaguar Bass VI............... :)

[quote name='Cieran' post='880403' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:55 PM']Thanks for the info Henry. After weighing it up I think I will do as you suggested and stick with the Thunder'Tron - that way I have a larger range of sounds available from both basses.

Next on the agenda is saving enough money to get myself a Jaguar Bass VI............... :rolleyes:[/quote]
No probs - save hard mate, Bass VIs ain't cheap :)

Edited by henry norton