Why become a member? ×

Status S2 at SoundsLive Newcastle

Chris2112

I was just strolling through town today when I noticed that Sounds Live have a Status S2 headless bolt on for sale. I had a quick go on it and it is fantastic. Very light strings coupled with a lovely low action made it a dream to play, and it sounded great even though an Orange amp! It's being sold by a friend of the manager through the shop, I think they said the price was £999 with a case. Its not the wildest looking Status S2 (I think it's all walnut with a red accent stripe and black hardware) but it plays brilliantly and sounds fantastic too. I was severly tempted for a few minutes, as it reminded me so much of the tone and feel of my old Status Stealth bass. If anything, it has strengthened my resolve to buy a Mk1 Kingbass!

If anyone is in the Newcastle area and interested in Status basses I would highly recommend going and having a look at it, as I don't think it will be there very long! And with me being daft, I forgot to take a bloody picture too! :)

I think it was the fact that it was a bit "plain" that stopped me from going head over heels and buying it right then and there, although I am sure from playing it that Status basses now are better than they have ever been, because it was flawlessly constructed. I'm swayed by good looks and I've wanted a Kingbass for ages, so this has stoked the fires so to speak! But yes, I've never played a bad Status and they're easily on a par with my current gear.

Your description of how it plays sounds a lot like all of my Status basses :)

I'm sure someone will snap this one up and end up with a great bass - I really like the look of the Matrix Series 2 in the for sale section at the moment. That looks like a really nice example. I had a pupil who had one many years ago in cherry gloss finish.

I'd snap that one up if you want one. :rolleyes:

I really like the look of that Matrix too, but after having owned 2 headed Status basss I've decided my next one has to be headless! After all, I get on so well with my Kubicki and the way that balances and I really prefer headless basses these days after giving much thought to both sides of the argument.

When I was playing this Status today I was reminded at just how balanced and full Status basses sound - like a piano up and down the neck, every note ringing loud and clear. I don't think there is any other bass that can compete with Status for that same level of clarity and resonance. That, combined with the low action which makes it so easy to articulate those machine gun 16th note runs (slapped and fingerstyle) means the bass plays itself. I find it is the mark of a quality instrument that it enhances your playing, rather than just being a tool for making noise. I found the same characteristic in my Kubicki and my Alembic, that they sit so perfectly in your hands and notes just spring out effortlessly. Rob at Status has got this aspect down to a tee.

In a way, it's like pulling out of a junction onto a 60mph road and going flat out in a Vauxhall Corsa and then doing it in a Sierra Cosworth. Both will get up to 60mph, but the Sierra wafts there. There is no strain in it, no howling noises of terror, just a smooth and completely assured experience, utterly capable in every respect and with sound design and engineering that are immediately apparent to the driver.

Heh! Nice similie, Chris :) Yes, I still haven't found anything better than an S2. Even though I always keep the odd wooden bass around (50th Anniversary Jazz & fretless Iceni Funkmeister at the moment), by far the bulk of all my playing is done on S2's. The instruments never get anything but praise, from sax & trumpet players commenting that they can hear every overtone from the bass, thusly making pitching so much easier, to MD's saying how wonderfully rich, full and detailed the bass sounds.

I guess this is why I can never settle with a Precision bass - The sound they make just isn't defined enough compared to what I'm used to!

I've also played a lot of top end basses from JayDees to MTD's & Sadowskys and nothing else seems to be able to compare to the mighty S2. There really is nothing better made and nothing has the same playability as a Status. Played with gentle tactility there's a full bodied growling tone, but dig in hard and there's a snappy howl to be found as well.

The S2 model in particular is the bass that Rob got right first time - The only real improvement to the instrument in almost thirty years has been the 3-band board 302 which makes the bass even more hifi-sounding than the original.

Pure class!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Chris2112' post='878308' date='Jun 26 2010, 05:54 PM']Just so you have a better idea of what I was talking about, here are a couple of cheeky pictures I snapped...

Simple, but beautiful. Still....must...hold...out...for...a...kingbass! :)[/quote]

Nice... Bolt on in satin finish with a curly walnut top. Rather like mine...

Sounds as if you're wanting to buy that bass, Chris :rolleyes:

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Indeed, Mart :)

The S2 is actually a better bass than the KingBass if you want an honest opinion, Chris. I've had two KingBasses (4 and 5 string artist models) and they're just ergonomically wrong (especially if you're in posession of a bit of a belly! :lol: ) But the construction is the key here - The KingBass is a simpler single piece body with the top pressed on, whereas the multi-laminate S2 body gives a much richer, multi-dimensional sound. The different pickup placement makes a difference as well.

As I said in my other post, there's nothing better than an S2 :rolleyes:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='878431' date='Jun 26 2010, 09:33 PM']As I said in my other post, there's nothing better than an S2 :)[/quote]

Well, I'm lucky that I don't have a belly (yet) but Mark has a bit of a kite and he always managed with them...in spite of your concerns, I'm not sure its something I'll be able to get out of my system without owning one! I do love that S2 though and it would be a lie if I said I had not been seriously tempted by it. I was back looking at it through the window today even though the song was closed! It does look and sound amazing though.

I'm thinking of getting a Kingbass in the "all graphite" construction if Status still will do them - IMO that is the way forward for basses in a sense. Fool that I am for selling it as I couldn't find a thing wrong with my Stealth 6 string. If the S2 had a maple top, I'd have bought it there and then, simple as.