Why become a member? ×

Starter pack for a 12 year old

wildman

I'm sure this has been covered many times and I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what to get, but theres a couple of things I'm not sure about.

With a budget of £200-ish, I thought: (Prices as guide from GAK)

Yamaha RBX170 (£119)
Peavey Microbass (£79)

which leaves a little change for an instructional Book/DVD and tuner. (My kids can chip in with these)

Questions:

1. Can a 12 year old handle a full scale bass or am I better off buying a 30" scale bass.
2. Whats a good instructional DVD for a beginner of his age.
3. Welcome any thoughts on the kit choices above. Is the RBX270 better value ?

Cheers, John

12 yr olds can be a massive spread of sizes..... I've seen kids that could pass for 16 at that age and some that look about 6!

If you believe your youngster is physiclly capable of the full scale then go for a Yam (the 170 is a fine starter bass, the 270 is a wee bit more refined, however I'm not sure at absolute beginner stage its worth looking above the 170..... interest may only last until January the 1st!...... :) ). They are eminently easy to set up to play well and thats worth lots.
I'm sure theres loads on here with mint beginners books, that can be pased on to help!

How about this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Encore-BB-Blaster-PK40-BASS-Guitar-Starter-Package_W0QQitemZ180183136284QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Encore starter kit [/url]for £100. All you need to see if your 12 year old likes bass, easy enough to sell on in the local paper, if he/she doesn't!

Edited by stingrayfan