Why become a member? ×

CONKLIN GROOVE TOOLS GT-4 - SOLD

Apothem

For the attention of fellow BCers is my Conklin Groove Tools GT-4. You see some Conklin 7-stringers around (Bill Dickens or standard), a few 5-stringers, but VERY few 4-stringers. Especially in the UK where there is no importer/distributor. I am not saying this is rarer than Bigfoot, but close...

[attachment=52796:009_4.jpg] [attachment=52797:010_4.jpg] [attachment=52799:012_4.jpg] [attachment=52800:013_4.jpg] [attachment=52801:014_4.jpg]

Specs are:

- ash body with figured maple top
- 5 pc multi-laminate Wenge / Purpleheart neck with Purpleheart fingerboard
- angled back headstock
- Bartolini MK-1 pickups and preamp with Volume, Blend, Bass, Mid, Treble controls & a slap switch. On the back of the electronics there are two trimpots where you can dial in with a screwdriver the relative gain/output of the normal 3-eq to the slap switch (fixed eq settings)
- locking jack.

The bass is in excellent conditions and must have been used very very sparingly, I can hardly see any fret signs!! After close inspection I have noticed only a very small dent in the finish on the back and one in the front, near the upper edge of the body: both are 1-2mm and superficial. No buckle rash at all and even the grazing below the G string (nails or pick) is soooooo light that is invisible even thanks to the vibrant colour.

I had it just recently: I have always wanted to try one, but after 30 years of maple boards, I just cannot change, and I know it would lay there collecting dust, so better find a new home while it is still so nice and gorgeous. I have just conditioned the fretboard and it looks brilliant.

RRP for a new one in the US is around 1100 USD, with street price at around 750 USD. Used ones are about 450 USD (the older series without the Bartolinis and with 2-eq only may be slightly cheaper). To that you should add shipping (120 USD with USPS) and 22% (VAT + import duty + custom charges) on the total of bass+shipping. Always if you find a decent one available to be shipped.....

I am asking £400 SHIPPED (trackable and insured) within mainland UK in a BRAND NEW tweed case, with keys (value 50 quid)!! Will only ship to the UK and I am afraid that no trade will be considered.

I have paid twice here on BC with a cheque so that would be nice, or, alternatively a bank transfer. Paypal is only a last resort, they gave me a hard time last year (locked the account suspecting I was a business, hence in need of VAT registration... WTF?!? yeah, right....)

So here's your chance to grab a little rarity, save dosh and lots of time.

Thanks for looking

Claudio (Apothem)

Edited by Apothem

Guest johnzgerman

ive got the old 2 eq 5 string version, had it for about 12 years and it still kicks ass, although ive always felt it lacks a mid eq, and the fretboard is now a dirty brown colour, but great bass that i would never sell, good luck with this one mate.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='876494' date='Jun 24 2010, 03:12 PM']Bill Dickens used one of these on his instructional DVD - they have a great tone![/quote]

Dickens does indeed love the groove tools also...
QUALITY basses also, gonna be one lucky owner whoever buys it.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='882625' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:47 AM']Gah, why is this pink/why I am I not more affeminate?[/quote]

Oh, come on mate... :rolleyes: LOL My old LEJ - LowEndJazz pictured here WAS pink....

[attachment=53325:CIMG5953.jpg]

This is cerise red, so you do not need to be more effeminate to enjoy it... :)

Cheers

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='882625' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:47 AM']Gah, why is this pink/why I am I not more affeminate?[/quote]

It isn't pink, its red. I own a GT5, and had a GT4 exactly the same as this too.

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='882613' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:21 AM']Hi Guv,
just a few questions ,
has it a shallow neck profile, Good action, and is the acess to the top frets easy?
is it good for slap and fingerstyle?
kindest regards
ziggy.[/quote]

The neck profile is similar to a Jazz, not as thick/chunky as a Precision or an old Stingray. At the moment the action is set medium-low, and that should suit most people. If you want it even lower you'll have to tweak the trussrod, but I haven't got the correct tool size (Allen key at the nut).

Access to small frets (in terms of cutaway shape of the lower horn) is easy, although the thickness of neck+pocket increases once the bolts area is reached.

The fingerstyle tone is warm, typical of the Bartolini MK1, and the bass has somewhat a certain "woodyness" when played unplugged. You can also dial in with the 3-eq. The slap is modern, and the slap switch (which kicks in a prefixed eq setting which overrides the other eq ontrols) is brighter (although not harsh) and is not too scooped, it seems like it retained some mids. If you do not like the slap preset, just switch back to the normal eq use.

I will include in the sale the bottle of DUNLOP 65 lemon oil fretboard conditioner with applicator.

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='Apothem' post='882861' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:01 PM']The neck profile is similar to a Jazz, not as thick/chunky as a Precision or an old Stingray. At the moment the action is set medium-low, and that should suit most people. If you want it even lower you'll have to tweak the trussrod, but I haven't got the correct tool size (Allen key at the nut).

Access to small frets (in terms of cutaway shape of the lower horn) is easy, although the thickness of neck+pocket increases once the bolts area is reached.

The fingerstyle tone is warm, typical of the Bartolini MK1, and the bass has somewhat a certain "woodyness" when played unplugged. You can also dial in with the 3-eq. The slap is modern, and the slap switch (which kicks in a prefixed eq setting which overrides the other eq ontrols) is brighter (although not harsh) and is not too scooped, it seems like it retained some mids. If you do not like the slap preset, just switch back to the normal eq use.

I will include in the sale the bottle of DUNLOP 65 lemon oil fretboard conditioner with applicator.[/quote]

ta guv ,
pmd

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...