Why become a member? ×

Putting a cloth grill over a port...

Dubs

Will it affect air-flow/be detrimental to the sound?

For example, if I was to completely cover this with a cloth grill about 15mm from the end of the port...

...would it significantly reduce the air flow of the port?

Well as long as its 'proper' speaker cloth, and not some super tight weaved stuff that doesnt allow airflow you should get zero difference in the low end a t all. You will get a tiny diff at the extreme top end, but in a tweeterless cab even that wont be noticeable.

[quote name='51m0n' post='874300' date='Jun 22 2010, 11:43 AM']Well as long as its 'proper' speaker cloth, and not some super tight weaved stuff that doesnt allow airflow you should get zero difference in the low end a t all. You will get a tiny diff at the extreme top end, but in a tweeterless cab even that wont be noticeable.[/quote]

Yeah it's going to be proper grill cloth, i.e. most probably either the Fender silver and black, oxblood, or tweed cloth.

Cheers for the info :)

At higher SPL I'd expect the cloth to marginally restrict the air flow but I don't think it'll cause chuffing, it think it'll slightly compress the low frequency response. What's the driver, what's the port tuned to? If the port is a half decent size for the driver Vd then although the difference will be measurable it probably won't be easily audible.

[quote name='Alien' post='874985' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:00 AM']I'd be more worried about the grille frame covering 2 sides of the port and reducing it's cross section at the mouth.[/quote]

Well spotted! I can't see any way of getting a strong enough frame in place that won't block the port to a significant degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I managed to come up with a solution that minimised this. Obviously there was some slight reduction in cross-section size but I think it was minimal. I'll post some pics in a bit to show what I did.