Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Phil Jones Bass buddy

giblett123

Although expensive any headphones designed for the monitoring of audio in a studio enviroment and mixing etc would be more than clear enough and will have a wide/low enough frequency response to hear what you play.

That said they ARE expensive though (we're talking a good shade over £100 and then waaaay up) but I've been happily using Sennheiser HD465's and used to have a pair of HD437's (the latter feeling very breakable) to practise in hotels or late at night/early in t'morn just with my bass going into a mixer and it's more than enough at a sensible volume.
It might be worth pointing out I don't have a hugely bass-heavy tone most of the time and that I like volumes pretty much as low as possible if it can be done.
They're not as expensive as the specifically designed studio monitoring headphones by a long shot.

I don't have much experience in this but I'd imagine without spending a big wadd of cash you'd be hard pushed to find a set of the small in-ear phones that give a audible, strong low-end without cranking up the volume.
That said I have a friend who uses Bose in-ear headphones all the time and says the bass is more than enough.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/headphones/studio-headphones/"]Link here to a selection of the more expensive studio/monitoring headphones that'd do the job.[/url]

Hope that helps,
Ben.

[quote name='BenTunnicliffe' post='871586' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:51 AM']Although expensive any headphones designed for the monitoring of audio in a studio enviroment and mixing etc would be more than clear enough and will have a wide/low enough frequency response to hear what you play.

That said they ARE expensive though (we're talking a good shade over £100 and then waaaay up) but I've been happily using Sennheiser HD465's and used to have a pair of HD437's (the latter feeling very breakable) to practise in hotels or late at night/early in t'morn just with my bass going into a mixer and it's more than enough at a sensible volume.
It might be worth pointing out I don't have a hugely bass-heavy tone most of the time and that I like volumes pretty much as low as possible if it can be done.
They're not as expensive as the specifically designed studio monitoring headphones by a long shot.

I don't have much experience in this but I'd imagine without spending a big wadd of cash you'd be hard pushed to find a set of the small in-ear phones that give a audible, strong low-end without cranking up the volume.
That said I have a friend who uses Bose in-ear headphones all the time and says the bass is more than enough.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/headphones/studio-headphones/"]Link here to a selection of the more expensive studio/monitoring headphones that'd do the job.[/url]

Hope that helps,
Ben.[/quote]Cheers for that Ben, I have some Beyer Dynamic HD250's at work which I will give a go, I've currently using some cheapo behringers with a little vox headphone amp but would like to hear what i'm actually playing so I'd thought I'd spend a few quid.

Currently using some Sennheiser HD 205 headphones for practicing and they seem to do a good job with clear bass and nice top end, even with the B string. They were a gift but I know they couldnt have been more than £60. To be honest Sennheiser usually deliver at most price points in my experience but if you are feeling flush Monster Beats by Dr.Dre are supposed to be the absolute dooh dahs but you wont get much change from £300.

You need to watch out and make sure that the 'phones you buy are proper studio ones as the pair I recently bought I just sold as they sound almost as if there is constant octave effect - which in some respects is true (some bass frequencies are added) and for simply indulgent listening this is great, but sadly for bass practice or anything besides recreational listening it is pretty rubbish.

[quote name='benzies123' post='872357' date='Jun 20 2010, 01:48 AM']You need to watch out and make sure that the 'phones you buy are proper studio ones as the pair I recently bought I just sold as they sound almost as if there is constant octave effect - which in some respects is true (some bass frequencies are added) and for simply indulgent listening this is great, but sadly for bass practice or anything besides recreational listening it is pretty rubbish.[/quote]
Cheers everyone, I'll do a bit of investigation, I'll bring the beyer dynamics home first, if they work fine, if not I'll venture a little further a field!