Why become a member? ×

Very new bass player..

Arjimlad

Hi, I'm James, live near Bristol

I've not been playing bass long..

I picked up a bass guitar one evening at my church music group practice - it's a Fender P-bass - it was out on a stand and the music was crying out for a bass - I knew what keys the strings were, worked out the bass line in my head & bashed it out fairly OK.

Since then I bought a used but beautiful sunburst Peavey Milestone III 4-string bass, on trade-it from a local lad, just to see how I liked it.

I practice the songs ready for a sunday morning & really enjoy playing the bass. My other instrument is the blues harmonica which I have been playing for 20 years & have played in blues bands & at church.

I will looking out for a half-decent practice amp to replace my ancient eastern european 10w bass amp which I bought yonks ago for keyboard.

I love the bass - it's got to be the best instrument in the whole band. I was given Bass Guitar for Dummies but haven't really found the time to get into it yet as I have a young family.

One issue I have with the Peavey is that when there are other instruments mic'd up, my guitar picks them all up & puts their sounds through the bass amp :) The Fender does not do this. I wonder if a wire is loose inside ? I have to turn two of the three pots down to stop this which makes the sound very bland. Has anyone got any simple fixes for this ?

Otherwise I am looking forward to absorbing a fraction of the collective wisdom of this impressive forum !

Keep up the good work

Arjimlad

[quote name='Arjimlad' post='868440' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:17 PM']Hi, I'm James, live near Bristol

I've not been playing bass long..

I picked up a bass guitar one evening at my church music group practice - it's a Fender P-bass - it was out on a stand and the music was crying out for a bass - I knew what keys the strings were, worked out the bass line in my head & bashed it out fairly OK.

Since then I bought a used but beautiful sunburst Peavey Milestone III 4-string bass, on trade-it from a local lad, just to see how I liked it.

I practice the songs ready for a sunday morning & really enjoy playing the bass. My other instrument is the blues harmonica which I have been playing for 20 years & have played in blues bands & at church.

I will looking out for a half-decent practice amp to replace my ancient eastern european 10w bass amp which I bought yonks ago for keyboard.

I love the bass - it's got to be the best instrument in the whole band. I was given Bass Guitar for Dummies but haven't really found the time to get into it yet as I have a young family.

One issue I have with the Peavey is that when there are other instruments mic'd up, my guitar picks them all up & puts their sounds through the bass amp :rolleyes: The Fender does not do this. I wonder if a wire is loose inside ? I have to turn two of the three pots down to stop this which makes the sound very bland. Has anyone got any simple fixes for this ?

Otherwise I am looking forward to absorbing a fraction of the collective wisdom of this impressive forum !

Keep up the good work

Arjimlad[/quote]
Welcome to Basschat, sure some of the more technically competent members will be able to answer your query abt the Peavey. Sounds a bit strange to me - wouldn`t know where to start with that one (aside from just play the Fender P-Bass, which is prob the only advice I ever give anyone, being a Precison Guy :) )

Lozz

Cheers Lozz - thought someone might say that !!

The P-bass is very nice, but mine has a slimmer neck which I find easier to play at the moment.

I have put up a post on the technical forum.

Hope to be able to contribute more to the forum once I am more established.