Why become a member? ×

stepped strings

You mean taper wound (goes down to single winding at the bridge) or piano strings (goes to bare core at the bridge)?

I had some Dean Markley taper steels and they were nice, and lasted. I use custom wound tapered Newtones for my ridiculous detuning.

Since tapered strings are a little more expensive, it is worth slinging them in the meths bath to wring some more use out of them.

Stuck on a set of Trujillo signature Dunlops last Thursday.( 45,63,80,102,130 ) Snapped the core of the G whilst tuning up, somewhere around E.
The E,A and D string taper to 45 but the B is 130 throughout. Its also nickle plated unlike the other four. Tension is nice, sound is good after breaking them in. This mornings practice was the second outing they've had and I reckon they are just about ready for the gig on friday. Not as stable as Labella steps tuning wise but a solid performer.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree that B strings generally need a taper at least at the bridge end. They could do with a taper at the machine head end as well...IMO. The (piano) core is better still, IMO..so I might try the Super Steps.

I will look our for the Markley tapers