Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Fretless Tone

faceman

This video has to be one of my favourite pieces of music ever and has some fantastic bass work from Marcus Miller. This is a live version from the excellent Night Music

The actual music begins around 2:20. It looks and sounds like an active fretless Fodera bass, favoured to the bridge pickup, would I be right? If not, any thoughts?

Any thoughts on how to get a similar fretless tone on something a little cheaper?

Well, without wishing to sound obvious, a fretless would help! :)
Seriously though, get on the fretless and just play it loads and your tone should come.. you'll probably end up sounding not quite like your original aim but coming out with your own voice.
Flats or halfrounds will give you a fatter tone, less sparkle, if that's what you're after. You can always experiment with amps as well.
Personally I use a 17 year old Trace head and various 10 or 12 speakers. I prefer the tone of ebony board, but many find rosewood (less expensive too!) suits them better.
Love it!

p.s. If you get down to my neck of the woods you're welcome to a go on my stuff.

pps.. Nice vid.. Marcus Miller - what a starting point! :rolleyes:

Edited by hubrad