Why become a member? ×

Leech g-120

gemdids

Hey folks,

A while back a friend of a friend who was a fellow bassist decided to emigrate and passed on his bass amp and speaker to me. The head is a Leech G-120 and the speaker looks like it matches.

I didn't have too much of a conversation with him about it, was just happy to get one for free. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Leech? Google doesn't have much to say on the matter.

Also, this may sound a bit obvious, but does anyone actually know whether it's a guitar amp or a bass amp....just with it being branded a guitar g-120 and all. :)

[attachment=51968:IMG00220...612_1246.jpg]

[attachment=51967:IMG00170...603_1234.jpg]

Hmm... could only find these reviews for other Leech gear. Seems to be pretty exclusive!

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Leech/E120+Head/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews.../E120+Head/10/1[/url]

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Leech/S120/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...Leech/S120/10/1[/url]

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='865305' date='Jun 12 2010, 04:04 PM']I suspect that with its having a bright channel, echo, sustain & distortion it's intended for that skinny 6 stringed thing to be played through it.

However, hook it up to a decent bass speaker & try it out with bass - the proof of the pudding etc.....

G.[/quote]

I might just do that.... sounds awesome as it is with my jtkb 300 tho.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='866726' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:49 AM']Leech were around in the early 80s, made near Manchester, so I recall. That's definitely a guitar amp.[/quote]

excellent, cheers for the info....now, anyone want a guitar amp?! :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='866726' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:49 AM']Leech were around in the early 80s, made near Manchester, so I recall. That's definitely a guitar amp.[/quote]
Leech was a cabinet manufacturer based in Salford. They made wooden cabinets under contract for a lot of the companies in the music business. They may have started up in the 1970s but, sadly, went into liquidation in the 1990s. They sold a range of amps under their own brand for a period in the 1980s but these weren't particularly successful. That's probably no reflection on the product and more to do with their marketing.
One of their early employees was Joe Olenski, who left and started Ohm.

[quote name='stevie' post='867407' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:36 PM']Leech was a cabinet manufacturer based in Salford. They made wooden cabinets under contract for a lot of the companies in the music business. They may have started up in the 1970s but, sadly, went into liquidation in the 1990s. They sold a range of amps under their own brand for a period in the 1980s but these weren't particularly successful. That's probably no reflection on the product and more to do with their marketing.
One of their early employees was Joe Olenski, who left and started Ohm.[/quote]

Thats brilliant, thanks for the info. All things considered, I cant believe that it's in such good nick for a 20+ year old amp and speaker!

Edited by gemdids

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I am Jo Olenski the founder of Leech. This is a Guitar Amplifier and was indeed designed by the Guru Roland Lumby. I left Leech and set up Ohm. I have many historic reviews of our products which were more than positive. I will post them one day. As one post said, our engineering always exceeded our marketing skills. I think it fair to say that our bass products inspired Trace Elliot’s designs, unfortunately their marketing was better than ours. With our Ohm designs we had Bi-Amp facilities to run single fifteens and four ten cabinets. Sadly the back line market became crowded and you were only as good as being able to be ten watts louder and ten pounds cheaper so we decided to concentrate on PA which we do to this day. Most of our products are sold to the export market China being our largest customer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1