Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's stuff like this that makes me want a DB

BottomEndian

[quote name='RhysP' post='865040' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:34 AM']I'd buy one if I thought I could play it as well as Danny Thompson does.
That, however, is extremely unlikely.....[/quote]

I've always had huge respect for jazz musicians. It's something i don't think i could ever do. It's just so over my head! but great to listen to. Really awesome stuff.

[quote name='RhysP' post='865040' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:34 AM']I'd buy one if I thought I could play it as well as Danny Thompson does.
That, however, is extremely unlikely.....[/quote]

There's no secret to Danny's playing. All you have to do is practice for 6 hours a day and play every gig & session that's offered to you. Repeat this for about 30 years and hey presto! instant Danny Thompson. Easy.

Nice one, Rev!

DT is The Man and is an inspiration, both in tone and lines.
Well worth getting hold of his VHS video 'Bassically Speaking' which, rather than a how to play vid, is more of an essay on being a bass player.
Catch DT in concert and he may well have them for sale.

I was out with the Jeff Hooper Swing Easy Band on tour last week with some of the most respected players in the country & I was told a little story about Ray Brown...

Some guys met Ray Brown walking down the street at 1am with his double bass on his back. They recognized him & asked Ray where he'd been playing, to which he replied he'd been in a local club all evening on a gig & was now on his way to the American version of the Musician's Union where they had practise booths. He'd religiously go to these places after gigs wherever possible and practise from 1am until 4 or 5am just playing strict time to a metronome. That's how you get to be good - Oh, and learning to read helps enormously, too! :)

[quote name='TheRev' post='865820' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:45 AM']There's no secret to Danny's playing. All you have to do is practice for 6 hours a day and play every gig & session that's offered to you. Repeat this for about 30 years and hey presto! instant Danny Thompson. Easy.[/quote]
I don't have 30 years left........... :)