Why become a member? ×

Anyone use tone controls?

4 Strings

I've always liked having at least a 3 band EQ on a bass amp but I just purchased an Orange Dual Terror guitar amp and its basically got two channels, each with Volume, Tone and Gain controls ...sounds fookin ace! No need for anything more than that in this case.

After reading an earlier thread I turned the smile upside down on my SWR and really enjoyed 'the mids'.

After reading this thread I put everything flat for last Saturday's gig. Really liked that too.

I still sound like me, though.

I use a little added bass & treble at 75% on my amplifier & have the bass' preamp treble & bass controls on full. I play at relatively low volumes, so it's the quality of sound I go for. It's the sound I like. :)

If I have a graphic, I always set it to the old "smiley face" - Lots of treble & bass with the mids flat. Scooped heaven!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

See, now with active basses it all goes to pot (excuse the pun!). With my Jaydee its bass and treble at ~90%, middle at ~75%. With the Stingray its bass at ~75% and the treble either 100% with the Trace combo at church or 50% with the Hartke. ie even if the amp is 'flat' the bass isn't. I suppose that's why we choose our basses, we like their sound.

Perhaps a better question would have been 'Do we vary our sound more by our playing or our eq settings?

Definitely the former for me (although I must admit I love to whack up the treble on the Stingray for a bit of slap fun, not in performances though).