Why become a member? ×

Help from Aria nuts?

Not too hot on Aria

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-TWO-Left-handed-Bass-Guitar-/230484512130?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35a9f28d82"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-TWO-Left-ha...=item35a9f28d82[/url]

Is this a wolf in sheeps clothing or just mutton?

[quote name='throwoff' post='860697' date='Jun 8 2010, 08:24 AM']Is this a wolf in sheeps clothing or just mutton?[/quote]

Not sure what you're trying to say, but it's easy to get the seller to confirm the year of production by telling you the first digit of the serial, and whether the serial is six (70s) or seven (80s) digits. For comparison, there was an Oak SB1000 (right-handed/fretless) manufactured in '80 listed on BC for £450. Being a left-handed model, the seller is probably being realistic with the pricing to move it on.

[quote name='throwoff' post='860749' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:05 AM']I thought I was quite clear but oh well!!

I have no clue about Arias except that some people really rate certain ones and others not so much!

Is this one of the models that is any good? What years are the good ones?[/quote]

In which case it might be a good idea to learn what the phrase wolf in sheep's clothing means, and how to use it.

It's an SB700 carcass, irrespective of catalogue designation. It's neck-thru, constructed using Sen ash, maple, walnut and rosewood, with a quick release bridge design and quality hardware, and a passive pickup and electrics (volume, tone and phase reverse switch).

The three main SB designs are all regarded as being high quality - a matter of preference as to which is best, depending on whether it's active electrics (SB1000), passive electrics (SB700) or the flexibility of two pickups (SB900) being sought.

There are some who think the earlier (pre-81) versions are less reliable than later versions, as a consequence of the original pickup design, but the earlier versions have different tonal characteristics to production from '81 onwards.

[quote name='noelk27' post='860791' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:49 AM']In which case it might be a good idea to learn what the phrase wolf in sheep's clothing means, and how to use it.[/quote]

Thank you for the genuine advice but I am a bit miffed about this.

Aria are not a hugely desirable brand to many musicians, ergo a high quality, desirable (to the right people/people in the know) instrument but with a brand name which is seen by many as less desirable is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Anyway as I said thank you for the proper advice, I am a total Aria no-nothing but I feel that was a tad uncalled for.

Edited by throwoff

Greetings,

Noel's done the deed regarding the specs, so I'll chip in with my opinion.

Wolf in sheep's clothing? Yup. A very common comment on forums is "I used to have one of those... wish I'd kept it".

Caveat... I've never played a single p/up SB, so my knowledge is scanty here. Also - Your avatar suggests you're rather at home with a Precision, Aria SBs are a completely different bag & rather Marmite. If you can cope with the ergonomics, they're beautifully balanced & very easy to play but they don't adhere to what I term the "Fender Standard".

If possible, try one before committing the cash - where are you in the world?

Edit: Not quite sure what model this is... At first glance it looks like a through-neck SB-700, but there's something about the heel that makes me think it's a set-neck SB-600. Headstock design suggests 1981 or later.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='throwoff' post='861027' date='Jun 8 2010, 02:28 PM']Not gonna be able to try before I buy I don't think but for 150 might be worth a cheeky punt.
Sure I can make that back on it if need be.[/quote]

5 days to go... It won't stay at £150 for long.

[quote name='throwoff' post='860805' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:05 AM']Aria are not a hugely desirable brand to many musicians[/quote]
That's broadly speaking true - Aria's heyday was the late 70s to mid 80s period with their original designs, produced by Matsumoku in Japan. Matsumoku ceased guitar manufacture in 1987 and the majority of production was transferred to Korean factories, & the name rather rapidly gained a "budget brand" reputation which it has kept. That's possibly a little unfair, as I've played & owned several post-Matsumoku Arias and those have been good quality instruments.

However, this is a Mat-era bass, and they are quite sought-after, so it'll take an Ebay fluke for this to stay particularly low. I'm inclined to agree with Bloodaxe - I don't think this looks like a through-neck bass, I would recommend asking the seller for some pics of the back, and a serial number.

Jon.

[quote name='throwoff' post='860697' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:24 AM']Not too hot on Aria

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-TWO-Left-handed-Bass-Guitar-/230484512130?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35a9f28d82"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-TWO-Left-ha...=item35a9f28d82[/url]

Is this a wolf in sheeps clothing or just mutton?[/quote]
Deffo not a sb700(I got one),not a thro neck(skunk stripes should go all the way)still an sb600,fantastic build and great neck playability in comparison to a fender.Great guitar as a main or spare if you could buy for 200 squid,it would be a bargain.

For what it's worth . . . .

I have a R/H 600, same as this one and it is a cracking bass.
The right balance and feel, not heavy, luvverly neck, nice punchy sound with the Stadium Elites I have on it.
This is from the earlier series, not the later Korean make.

I this was R/H, I'd have it in a flash.

One thing to remember, the string spacing is closer together - more like a Ric than a Fender but only takes
a few minutes to get used to.

Looks a really nice one.

Go on, you know you want to!!

:)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='865696' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:25 AM']One thing to remember, the string spacing is closer together - more like a Ric than a Fender but only takes
a few minutes to get used to.

Looks a really nice one.

Go on, you know you want to!!
:)[/quote]

10 hours to go & no movement! I'm a tad stunned!

The critical dimensions...

Neck Width at Nut: 45mm
Neck Width at Body join (19th fret): 55mm

String Spacing (centre-centre) Nut: 35.5mm
String Spacing (centre-centre) Bridge: 46mm

Taken from my 1980 SB-900 strung with 45-105.

If it stays at that price you won't see another one!

Do it... Pull that trigger. :rolleyes:

P.