Why become a member? ×

Tidying up old demo recordings?

Linus27

I have a bunch of demo recordings of my old bands which I would love to have the hiss taken out of and made to sound a bit better. I guess some sort of mastering. They are all on tape or CD so no DAT's or masters I'm afraid. Is this something that can be done relatively easily and cheaply?

Also, I have a ton of live recordings that I would love to take songs from and make into one live recording. So pick the best versions of each song from the various live tapes and make one complete live recording. Again, is this something that could be done quite easily with each song joined seemless with the crowd/audience clapping etc? Plus tidying up and make to sound a bit fresher?

At the other end of the scale (and to be honest I have never been happy with the results I have got at, though only on a quick run it and see, not spending huge amounts of time on it) have you tried the tools in Audacity?

[quote name='WalMan' post='861573' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:17 PM']At the other end of the scale (and to be honest I have never been happy with the results I have got at, though only on a quick run it and see, not spending huge amounts of time on it) have you tried the tools in Audacity?[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I've not seen or used Audacity but will download and have a look. However for this project, Crez5150 has offered to help. Hope he's not going to be expensive :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='861592' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:27 PM']Thanks for the tip. I've not seen or used Audacity but will download and have a look. However for this project, Crez5150 has offered to help. Hope he's not going to be expensive :rolleyes:[/quote]
I'd have offered with the bits'n'bobs I've got here, but I think my ears are too shot :)

For free software Audacity is worth a look for the future. You can do quite a lot of clever stuff with it. Spent a while zooming in to milliseconds to cut out some nasty digital pops in recordings that were loud enough to be annoying, but short enough to make no difference to feel, flow, or notice when cut out.

Been trying to get a load of old 8 track masters from around 20 years ago re mixed my self for the last 18 months. One day I'll properly knuckle down to it.

[quote name='WalMan' post='861625' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:06 PM']I'd have offered with the bits'n'bobs I've got here, but I think my ears are too shot :)

For free software Audacity is worth a look for the future. You can do quite a lot of clever stuff with it. Spent a while zooming in to milliseconds to cut out some nasty digital pops in recordings that were loud enough to be annoying, but short enough to make no difference to feel, flow, or notice when cut out.

Been trying to get a load of old 8 track masters from around 20 years ago re mixed my self for the last 18 months. One day I'll properly knuckle down to it.[/quote]

It will be worth it in the end for sure especially if the quality is improved.

[quote name='WalMan' post='861625' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:06 PM']Spent a while zooming in to milliseconds to cut out some nasty digital pops in recordings that were loud enough to be annoying, but short enough to make no difference to feel, flow, or notice when cut out.[/quote]

I've done similar, but applied a limiter to the peak - that way the original timing stays perfect.

A

I used to use a bit of cheap & cheerful PC software for this: magix audio cleaning lab - you can usually get the latest or previous version cheap whenever PC world have a sale. I wish there was a mac version as it was very easy to use and I could master a wav of an old cassette demo tape into a finished CD much quicker than I can now in Adobe Soundbooth.