Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joe Barden pickups?

yourchoiceguitar

This is a bit of a random post where I need to start by admitting I have no idea about Joe Barden pickups and really hoping for some advice.

Basically I have a small site and want to have USA company based items on the site, such as Bartolini etc - stuff that isnt easily available in the UK.

I have been in touch with Joe Barden about their products but I do not know too much about them. Are they any good??

Thanks!

I only know of them because I'm a Danny Gatton fan, and he had them in his Telecaster. I have no idea about the bass pickups, but the Telecaster ones are meant to be outstanding, but quite pricey. I also understood there was a waiting list to get them made too. Very good pickups I believe.

[quote name='yourchoiceguitar' post='859695' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:44 AM']This is a bit of a random post where I need to start by admitting I have no idea about Joe Barden pickups and really hoping for some advice.

Basically I have a small site and want to have USA company based items on the site, such as Bartolini etc - stuff that isnt easily available in the UK.

I have been in touch with Joe Barden about their products but I do not know too much about them. Are they any good??

Thanks![/quote]
The original Barden Engineering DG pups were fantastic Im told,I have the newer version in a G&L ASAT Telecaster and they are good but not remarkable...I would imagine the price in the UK would not be competitive with an individual sourcing and importing their own from the US...as I remember I think I paid about £100 more in the UK than if I had gone through a US guitar site.

Ok, sounds pretty good. Like I said before I do have a website and I'm trying to get in touch with some companies that do not trade a lot in the UK.

If I went ahead with them I'd be buying in a few at a time so just want to be sure there is a potential market for them over here (also means you would not have to pay £100 extra). Apologies if this offends anyone as 'market research' but I'd rather talk to real players rather than 'business heads' who have no idea what you guys want.

Thanks!

I'm currently selling my Joe Barden J's as I'm soon going to sell my Hohner B Bass V which is my backup bass & I'd rather sell them seperately.

I actually was very impressed by them. Since they are a double-coil/twin rails humbucking design, they are very quiet and ideal for studio use. The twin rail configuration seems to have a 'sensing-window' very similar to the standard jazz pup, so the sounds are very similar, and since they are built to emulate the tone of the early J basses, they do just that.

Where I was particularly impressed was actually in the extension of the highs and lows. These pickups seem to sense further down and further up the sound spectrum. This can be brought out when coupled with any decent pre-amp - in my case a John East U-Retro, which will also be up for sale when I get the replacement installed.

As already mentioned, these are not a cheap option and I would not have had them had I not bought them second-hand from another Basschat member at a decent rate. I can't find the J's in the UK, but the danny Gatton Telecaster pups are £250 EACH at Axiomatic Music. I suspect the J's won't be far short of that.

Would I recommend them? Depends on who's buying. If you're not a working pro or recording artist, the only reason for having them is personal pride, but if you are the former, they are probably as good as it gets in a passive pickup and as quiet too.

When I put the EMG Selects back in the J, did I notice the difference?

Errrrr, yeeeessssss.

:)

G.

[quote name='yourchoiceguitar' post='859695' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:44 AM']Basically I have a small site and want to have USA company based items on the site, such as Bartolini etc - stuff that isnt easily available in the UK.[/quote]

You could always try Villex. Extraordinary pickups, and the european arm of the company seems to have dissapeared at the moment. I assume they're still available, and they were the best Jazz pups I've ever used.