Why become a member? ×

Out of touch

Ricky

I've been out of the game for quite a few years(about 7 years) but some freinds i know we're looking for a new bassist, they gave me a go and i made it in. Thing is the music they play is rock(metalica etc type music). Thing is i've never played heavy before always been into indie bands, so been bit of a learning curve, but the time has come too change me strings. I play with a fender 4 string and a ashdown stack system, i used roto's standard gauge strings. What i;m asking is what do you metal heads use.i know it's too everyones own tastes but just looking for a bit of guideance.sorry for going on but my first time on here. :wacko:

Edited by Ricky

[quote name='Ricky' post='857934' date='Jun 5 2010, 08:15 AM']I've been out of the game for quite a few years(about 7 years) but some freinds i know we're looking for a new bassist, they gave me a go and i made it in. Thing is the music they play is rock(metalica etc type music). Thing is i've never played heavy before always been into indie bands, so been bit of a learning curve, but the time has come too change me strings. I play with a fender 4 string and a ashdown stack system, i used roto's standard gauge strings. What i;m asking is what do you metal heads use.i know it's too everyones own tastes but just looking for a bit of guideance.sorry for going on but my first time on here. :wacko:[/quote]
roto sound med gauge is probably the best thing played with a pick they will sound "nasy!" (in a good way,nasty)
I think flats and the like woundn't give that "bite" you need for rock
IMO anyway
good luck
W

I'd personally say Nickel 45-105 roundwound in practically any reputable make, all the Rock thump you will ever need on a P-Bass/J-Bass. Having said that, use anything you like really, your current Rotos will do just fine. Avoid anything too thin though, Metal and 35-85 doesn't sound too good, too much flap and too much fret collision when you dig in. Stainless Steel will give a much more modern up to date Metal sound, but will mash your frets quicker. I'd just stick with the Rotos as thats what you like and are used to, and I doubt the rest of the band will complain about the subtle nuances of your bass tone for at least the first 5 rehearsals. If/when they do, then you have a reference point to what sound they are expecting of you, then come back here and get more advice.

Witterth: One of the best Rock players in the world uses 50 gauge flats, fingerstyle, and he has absolutely no loss of top end :)

Edited by robocorpse

Thanks guy's much appreciated. I'll stick with what i got, like you say the band will soon tell me if it's not the sound there looking for. At least now i ain't got to go through all the trials of new strings and which could also be a costly one. Thanks again. :)

[quote name='Ricky' post='859208' date='Jun 6 2010, 07:48 PM']It seems that the type of string and gauge i'm using are bob on them. thanks for your info bud.[/quote]
Rotosound Stainless Steel Roundwounds - I`ve been using the heavy gauge (50 - 110), in hard-rock and punk bands for years, tried many other brands over the years, but, combined with a Precision, these are the best for me.