Why become a member? ×

what is the best book or dvd to lurn bass from

scottaylor

i have a few books and dvds but nun of them are right for me they dont exsplain why you do some think propbly and what it moves on to just gose from 1 exsorsie to a nuther.
have got the electric guitar by simon croft and its grate even says how long to spend lurning be for you should think of moving on, is there any bass books like this
thank you

Hi again, Scott. You're better off finding a good teacher who will a. Teach you to read music as well as help you with your playing technique, and b. Teach you to use your ears to take down parts for yourself. They're both invaluable skills & the two combined will make you a better bass player. :)

For a novice I think 'Bass Guitar for Dummies' is a really excellent starting point, it assumes you know nothing and works through methodically. I always recommend it to people starting out.

Good luck and keep at it mate!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='854656' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:27 AM']Hi again, Scott. You're better off finding a good teacher who will a. Teach you to read music as well as help you with your playing technique, and b. Teach you to use your ears to take down parts for yourself. They're both invaluable skills & the two combined will make you a better bass player. :)[/quote]
+1 to finding a teacher.

Maybe get hold of one of the books mentioned in this thread, work through what you can and book just one lesson early on to make sure you're using correct technique and not doing anything that could cause problems or slow your progress, then when you've got a bit more money for another lesson, you could book one in to see how you're progressing. That way, you're not spending a fortune on regular lessons, but you still benefit from an experienced bass player's guidance.

good idea i go to my mate gig every couple of mouths that has a jam open jam part my mate used to teach guatrs and bass he offered to help out and im going to a guitar club 1s a munth on the begging part so hope fuly that will help it sat carnt wate doing my gutar scales in morning for around 60mins god finger hurt now strings smaller lol and do about 60 mins on bass at the mow im lurning a 12 bar box form taking a quick brake for a cofy then back on