Why become a member? ×

old trace gear. how reliable?

holio.cornolio

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='853909' date='Jun 1 2010, 06:12 PM']Remember the fender is 100W but it's cab is 4ohm. The TE has an internal cab at 8ohm and alows a extension... is just putting out near 80W! The full 150W (i thought the combos were 130W and the AH were 150W but i could be wrong...) moves so much air that it could knock the fender to it's back! :)[/quote]

He He He there is a big difference between 100 watts at 100hz and 100watts at 1Khz!!

I have a Series 6 AH200 from the late 80's which I bought 15 years ago. I had a minor issue with the DI and had to get it fixed by GM Audio. They are built well and seem to go on and on. I've flight cased it and added the rack UV light so it weighs even more, but being just a head is not an issue. I've ran it with 3 different speaker set ups. I now have it running at 4ohnms into 2 cabs, a 15" & a 12". For rehersals I just bring the 15" and for gigs both. Average level is 1.5 on the output which can still be really loud!! (both the drummer & guitarist said I was too loud at our last gig). The 12 band graphic is really flexible if you want to play around with it. It 's the nuts.

Edited by mep

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='853909' date='Jun 1 2010, 06:12 PM']Remember the fender is 100W but it's cab is 4ohm. The TE has an internal cab at 8ohm and alows a extension... is just putting out near 80W! The full 150W (i thought the combos were 130W and the AH were 150W but i could be wrong...) moves so much air that it could knock the fender to it's back! :)[/quote]

I've pushed a 4ohm 1x15 with my 150 watt head and it wasn't as loud as the rumble. Thats why I use a 4x10 now, 25 extra inchs of push. If its a big venue, say 600+ heads, I stick another 4x10 on the guitarists side of the stage. Dont get me wrong, as I said earlier, TE gear is superb but if the fender still isn't doing the job then a lot more juice is needed. Honestly, the rumble range is just about the best thing I've come across in years. In a gigging year I might play through 30 different bass rigs. Most of the big brand names turn out to be crap. So far i'd have the rumble ahead of the majority of Mark Bass gear, all of the Ampeg B series heads and anything with blue speakers. 2x10 150 watt combo retails at €212.99 over here. You wont find a better new amp in that price range.

[quote name='Mog' post='854402' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:17 AM']I've pushed a 4ohm 1x15 with my 150 watt head and it wasn't as loud as the rumble. Thats why I use a 4x10 now, 25 extra inchs of push. If its a big venue, say 600+ heads, I stick another 4x10 on the guitarists side of the stage. Dont get me wrong, as I said earlier, TE gear is superb but if the fender still isn't doing the job then a lot more juice is needed. Honestly, the rumble range is just about the best thing I've come across in years. In a gigging year I might play through 30 different bass rigs. Most of the big brand names turn out to be crap. So far i'd have the rumble ahead of the majority of Mark Bass gear, all of the Ampeg B series heads and anything with blue speakers. 2x10 150 watt combo retails at €212.99 over here. You wont find a better new amp in that price range.[/quote]
It's the 1X 15 rumble, and you're right, it is loud, but it doesn't get louder past half way on the volume, just more farty. Also the eq is unusable, so it's just set flat, with occasionally a little treble added depending on the room we're in. Also with the Ric 4001 that I'm using these days it's a little unforgiving of the extra top end, and can be clanky and harsh sounding (and I know that's a feature of the Ric, but put through a 4X10 that I was loaned, the Ric sounded much more useable, and also the ric is lighter and has a nicer neck than the Jazz I use so it's the favoured axe at present).
TBH the rumble has been adquate up until now, but I'm gigging at maximum volume so have nowhere to go if things get even more exciting!! Thanks for all the input people, I'm infinitely better informed and have my eyes peeled now for whatever juicy titbits the for sale section might have to offer.
Cheers.