Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB 1006, Trans Black finish

pantherairsoft

TRADED PENDING

Hi people,

I recently got my hands on this via a part ex/trade deal. Let me start by expressing how fantastic this bass is... Great tonal pallet, not heavy for a 6, lovely neck and very reasonaly priced (Yamaha's current retail is £1075, and this is A LOT of bass for the money)! Perfect bass for anyone into 6 strings.

There are a number of dinks in the body, a few near the jack, one on the upper horn, a chip to the side of the headstock and a scrape on behind the bridge where the B string is. As such I would described this as very well gigged, but in fantastic condition for such!

The bass has had a full clean in and out, a good lem-oiling of the fretboard, all the knobs replaced with metal ones (original ones included also), strap pins replaced with Schaller style pins (again original ones also included) and the switches cleaned, the back of the neck has been lightly sanded so it is smooth as glass (has a natural wood feel rather than a varnished one) and has just had a brand new set of Overwater Lightweight Nickels added. Action is low with no buzz to my pressure of playing...

Only reason I'm trading is that I have 2 custom 6ers on the way and this was to be my stand in fretted until they arrive... I have since found that I'm using fretless for everything, and my Roscoe fits that bill. As such I'm not desperate to get rid but if I get an interesting offer I may give it a shot... Basically I'm using it as my chance to try something new, or it stays.

What I'm after...
Pretty much consider any bass trades. This is a stand in until my RIM and GB's are finished and I realise I can survive with anything of moderate quality. For the time being I must be a 5 or more stings (although all consider nice luthier or Warwick 4's). Failing that try me. I'm looking for something worth about the same or a little less new (around the 1k mark).

Try me

Pics...

A few pics taken when I set it up (no strings, all cleaned, fret board conditioned)...

PM me with any question, offers etc...

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='MythSte' post='857770' date='Jun 4 2010, 10:34 PM']Was this mine at one point...? Either way I owned one just like it and it was lovely! Really nice neck. Didnt feel much different from most fives I'd played which really made the switch easier.

Good luck![/quote]

Yes it was Stephen, it went from you to me to Shep. Cracking bass, I only moved it on when my ACG arrived

Yup! And I agree on the neck... Very narrow for a 6, but not too tight on the string spacing. Neck feels super solid under the hand.

It was a great find and I enjoyed cleaning her up as well. The TRB range really are stunning. Like I mentioned in my first post, unless I get a trade offer to try something new, this will be kept. The 1005 and 1006's are a crazy amount of bass for the money!

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='858504' date='Jun 5 2010, 10:21 PM']Yup! And I agree on the neck... Very narrow for a 6, but not too tight on the string spacing. Neck feels super solid under the hand.

It was a great find and I enjoyed cleaning her up as well. The TRB range really are stunning. Like I mentioned in my first post, unless I get a trade offer to try something new, this will be kept. The 1005 and 1006's are a crazy amount of bass for the money!

Shep[/quote]

+1 on that don't know why they don't demand a better reputation on here and talkbass! Really don't know what i'm gonna do with mine when i get my shuker.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the OP will forgive my effectively content-free followup, but the first time I tried a 6 string was a Yamaha TRB1006 in Derby Cash Converters. Given the necessary size of the fretboard I was really surprised how comfortable the bass felt and how enjoyable it was to play it. I ended up getting a Shine 6'er, more in keeping with my primitive skills and what I could justify paying for a bass, but I have a real soft-spot for the TRB1006s.

If I remember correctly, Derby Cash Converters were selling theirs for £599. This was some time ago and my memory is ..... what was I saying again?

Edited by Annoying Twit

I've never played a 6er, nore do I have any use for one but none the less I'd love to have a go and learn My way around one. This one has my attention but I have no cash or trade options. Beautiful bass!

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this as available again for trade only.

This was bought to keep me going while my GB and RIM basses are finished. Yamaha was a safe bet as I know and trust the sound... Time to try something else.

I'll consider a punt on most stuff. For the mo 5 strings or more, but might consider 4's like warwicks, luthiers or a vintage Jazz I have a little GAS for a Thumb as I sold my BO5 and really regret it.

May put money towards something nice!

Try me

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft