Why become a member? ×

Help with nut groove height relative to first fret

LawrenceH

Hi all,
I have a Jap 75 reissue jazz which I'm learning to really love despite being initially a little underawed (new bridge helped!). One thing that I noticed though is that when playing in F my hands fatigue very quickly. I think part of the problem is the nut height relative to the first fret which is forcing me to press quite hard when using the lower frets. What is usual, and what can you take it down to? I'm wondering if these necks, which have the smaller vintage frets on, still use standard nuts. Surely it needs to only just clear the first fret? I've got a good couple of mm, which even if standard seems a bit unnecessary - or am I missing something?
Strings are 45-105 black beauties

[quote name='BassBod' post='851271' date='May 29 2010, 05:41 PM']The general guide is - hold the string down at the third fret, and look at the gap between string and first fret - should be just a hair from touching the first fret.[/quote]

Thank you very much for the reply - doing that it is a pretty small gap, but more than a hair - maybe 2/3 of a mm on the E? I don't have a gauge to measure accurately unfotunately. Would there be any disadvantage to taking it down further, i.e. til just a shade above first fret to avoid buzzing?

My personal method is to reduce the depth of the nut groove until you can barely see a gap - but its not actually touching, then a small press on the string over the first fret gives you a slight click as it touches. But its very easy to cut too deep, so be careful...

The other quick check for nut height is to hold all strings down at the first fret and see how much lower the existing action is overall - this takes the nut out of the equation completley, so makes for a good quick comparison.

The strings you use can make a difference as well. I tend to use more flexible strings (DR sunbeams or Thomastik flats) so they are bit more forgiving. If I used stainless Roto's I'd want to get it as close to perfect as I could.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='852832' date='May 31 2010, 06:52 PM']Thanks for the advice guys! Sounds like it'll be worth taking it down a bit, added to my 'to do' list. :)[/quote]

There's a useful setup guide on the G&L site: gives specifications for relief, first fret clearence, pickup heights, all kinds of stuff.

www.glguitars.com/faq/glmanual.pdf