Why become a member? ×

HELP WITH CHEAP POWER AMP!

BIG.J

Not done this before so take it easy on me..Lol

I have an SWR ST-220 head / Pre - Amp which runs =

140w @ 8ohms
220w @ 4ohms

I would like to use this unit with a power amp for larger gigs via its PRE-AMP OUT, so looking for a cheap option? I already have an old Marshall 9000 series power amp but its 2 channel 200w & 200w @ 4ohms each.

I am using the SWR Henry 8x8 cab rated at 480w @ 4ohms so don't need a mega amp..

Any ideas would be great?

Cheers

Justin. :)

The old HH power amps tend to regularly sell for very reasonable prices on ebay. A few people on the forum have quite cheap Class-D amps they picked up somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Keep in mind that going from 220 watts to 480 watts will only be around a 3dB increase in volume -- but of course, sometimes that's all you need.

[quote name='escholl' post='850869' date='May 29 2010, 05:29 AM']The old HH power amps tend to regularly sell for very reasonable prices on ebay. A few people on the forum have quite cheap Class-D amps they picked up somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Keep in mind that going from 220 watts to 480 watts will only be around a 3dB increase in volume -- but of course, sometimes that's all you need.[/quote]

Many Thanks for your advise, Been a great help and will keep an eye out for an old H&H..

J. :)

[quote name='witterth' post='850965' date='May 29 2010, 10:40 AM']BC'er "cetera" has a "Behringer EP2500 - great power amp! £150" for sale
(sorry dont know how to post links)
so you'll find it in the "for sale"/amps&cabs bit of the forum.
but it will probably be a good one Id guess
good luck
W[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I did see that one. Not sure if its a little too much power but its a great amp and price..

J.

[quote name='BIG.J' post='851073' date='May 29 2010, 01:15 PM']Thanks for the heads up. I did see that one. Not sure if its a little too much power but its a great amp and price..

J.[/quote]

You can never have "too much" power!! You can always turn down too much, but you can't turn up what ain't there.

G.