Why become a member? ×

Budget Raise

DreadAlert

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='856282' date='Jun 3 2010, 05:00 PM']A quick question:
What bass is this that Rob Trujillo is using?
[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Robert_Trujillo_live_in_London_2008-09-15.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._2008-09-15.jpg[/url]

It looks so nice!

I think it might be a Fernandes Gravity 5 string.

I've been looking at their prices and they're surprisingly cheap! Has anyone had a go on them?[/quote]

It's a Tobias, check the headstock:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='857077' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:11 PM']The SR300 is the best value bass among those three you listed. Excellent build & sound, 3-band preamp, great playability & easily worth the £230 you'll pay for it.

Have fun :)[/quote]

Thanks - But I think... I'm going to play it safe and go with a Squier that everyone seems to love so much.

What do you guys think? Classic Vibe jazz or Vintage Modified Jazz?

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='859182' date='Jun 6 2010, 07:24 PM']VMJ, if you play a couple you will find the perfect bass (due to slight differences in ALL basses of the same make/model) although i have never tried the CVJ.[/quote]

Well if I was to get a VMJ, It'd have to be from the internet seeing as my local store only has a lefty.

They have some classic vibes though, I think.
I've been considering the CVP aswell.. love the growl. The VMP aswell.

Also, I saw the Mike Dirnt signature Squier P bass. How's that? Looks and sounds great for just £190 imo. I could afford to buy a better bridge or pickups if I bought a guitar that cheap I think.

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='Johnston' post='859286' date='Jun 6 2010, 08:47 PM']If you've playd something that looks sounds and feels right go for it, is what I'd say.

If you haven't and need to go online shopping just do your homework, search here, talkbass and harmony central see what other folk say. I was looking at ordering a CV because they seemed to have the most consistent quality in the price range. Takes a bit of the worry of buying online.

Look outside your price range too , you never know what might turn up on E-bay. I'm waiting on a new Fender Mike Dirnt arriving. It was cheaper than what a local shop quoted for a 50's cv.

If you get the right auction at the right time of the day and are willing to take that bit of a risk you never know what will turn up. All it takes is an auction ending at a bad time, a bad description -remember you can ask any questions you want- or even a badly worded title and it might go for lower than expected. Pick up onlys can also wield a good deal and sometimes if you ask first the will post ;P

Also remember if you do go the online route a new bass will likely come with no set up so if you don't know what your doing factor in a set up at your local guitar tech. If you buy in a shop you could get that in with the deal especially if your getting an amp and anything else at the same time.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep a closer eye on the used section.
I've been thinking that if a Musicman Sterling Ray 34 or SB14 come up in the used, I should be able to afford one.
Whats the difference between the two by the way?

Edited by DreadAlert

I gotta say dude, I think you need to go out play some basses and buy one!

Don't want to sound harsh but there is only so much advice us guys can give. If you wait for a BassChat general consensus on what to buy you will be waiting a very long time!

We are all different players and have different influences and preferences in what we play.

Go to a couple music shops play everything you can afford and just buy what is best for you!

[quote name='throwoff' post='859542' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:39 AM']I gotta say dude, I think you need to go out play some basses and buy one!

Don't want to sound harsh but there is only so much advice us guys can give. If you wait for a BassChat general consensus on what to buy you will be waiting a very long time!

We are all different players and have different influences and preferences in what we play.

Go to a couple music shops play everything you can afford and just buy what is best for you![/quote]

+1

you have spent alot of time looking for answers, the only right answer youl find is when you pick up that bass and its feels and sounds right. I tried a VMP and hated it, horrible bass in my eyes.

[quote name='throwoff' post='859542' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:39 AM']I gotta say dude, I think you need to go out play some basses and buy one!

Go to a couple music shops play everything you can afford and just buy what is best for you![/quote]

yep, when I got back into playing, it took me 3 amps before i found what I really wanted

with basses, you may actually need to own and play some for a while before you really know what you want

its like dating!

[quote name='lojo' post='859916' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:35 PM']its like dating![/quote]

Kind of, except your bass will [i]always[/i] make you smile :) LOL

Even when you find one you like (a bass that is) theres always another one that you want, an thers nothing wrong with that !!!

Yeah, I know thats the only way I can be deadly sure that I like a bass, and I'll get around to trying more soon.
I kinda need your guys thoughts on something - Whats with the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz? I don't get it. I can see it has frets. Also, would it be much difference to the regular VMJ?

Thanks guys.

My first bass was an SR300 Fretless, probably made me a better bassist, because small mistakes were more noticable. I did have some guitar experience prior to that though, so maybe not as a first instrument, but definitely helps with learning.

[quote name='RussFM' post='861214' date='Jun 8 2010, 04:55 PM']My first bass was an SR300 Fretless, probably made me a better bassist, because small mistakes were more noticable. I did have some guitar experience prior to that though, so maybe not as a first instrument, but definitely helps with learning.[/quote]

Cool.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for an Ibanez SR300 as it was voted best value bass and stuff is Bassguitar Magazine.
Love the looks, love the sound. :)
NOW DONT LET ME CHANGE MY MIND! :rolleyes:

I just came across something that looks strange, and I'm not sure how it works.

Its an external sound card, presumably so you could plug your instrument into it without busting what it's using as a speaker.. i.e laptop.
Does it only work with computers and stuff, or could you use it like a pre-amp and plug it from the sound card to normal speakers or a cab?

Sounds like a great idea though. Once the sound is playing through it and into your computer, could you put effects on your sound via the computer?

Exciting discovery! - Seeing as whenever I'm at home I'm with my computer, and i could take it to friends houses etc without hauling an amp, it sounds perfect.

Like, is it the sound card in my laptop that wouldn't be able to handle the bass normally? And an external would be able to use my laptops speakers?

Edited by DreadAlert

Whats it called?

I use a Edirol UA-25 that I plug the bass into and then that plugs into the computer via USB. I then output using the external computer speakers. Fine for just quiet practice. This way I can also record and use computer generated effects.

If you want something that makes sound without a speaker and is easy to carry around, you can buy an effects pedal like the ME-20B. You dont need an amp as it has its own preamp, so you just plug your bass in and plug headphones in. It works off batteries or mains. Of course you can also output to an amp and use all the effects.

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='861623' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:04 PM']Cool.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for an Ibanez SR300 as it was voted best value bass and stuff is Bassguitar Magazine.
Love the looks, love the sound. :)
NOW DONT LET ME CHANGE MY MIND! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Real good choice man, i've had a SR500 (similar bass just a tad dearer) for the last 4 years and of all the basses that have come in and gone, the Ibanez is still here. It just feels so right playing it, like a comfortable pair of shoes and always sounds bl**dy awesome too, just my 2p worth.

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='863475' date='Jun 10 2010, 04:58 PM']What could I plug my bass into that would link up with my computer and not cause any possible speaker harm?[/quote]

Anything listed above as long as you are sensible with the volume and dont expect amazing sound.