Why become a member? ×

Sister Sledge - Thinking of You

I've got an audition on Wednesday for a soul/motown band for which I've been learning about 20 songs. I've got most of them cracked well enough but with Bernard Edwards' line on Sister Sledge's [i]Thinking of You[/i] I'm feeling I haven't cracked the little (ghost note?) details properly.

I ordered a copy of Stuart Clayton's [i]Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards: Funk & Disco Grooves[/i] from Bassline but no sign of it being sent to me yet.

So, has anyone got some quality notation (or even tab) for [i]Thinking of You[/i] that they could email to me or post here?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've just now been busking along to that again and I'm feeling much happier but still wouldn't mind seeing some notation if anyone has it.

Edited by EssentialTension

we did this at the ICMP diploma. may be worth giving dave marks and crew a PM, tho may be copyrite etc... i have a paper version but no scanner.

Incidentally one of my favourite songs to play on bass!

from memory:

verse (mostly octaves)

F (before bar) G then D then Eb then Bb then back to F and repeat

before chorus go from the Bb to B to C to F to G

chorus (not octaves)

Eb B F (fills on F... do them by ear!)

thats the basics i think. god i am bad at describing music! can we have someone better at this to help out?

r

[quote name='richrips' post='846978' date='May 24 2010, 10:33 PM']we did this at the ICMP diploma. may be worth giving dave marks and crew a PM, tho may be copyrite etc... i have a paper version but no scanner.[/quote]
Sorry to be stupid but who is Dave Marks?

[quote name='richrips' post='846978' date='May 24 2010, 10:33 PM']Incidentally one of my favourite songs to play on bass![/quote]
Incidentally I'm hating playing it - probably because I can't do it - I'm also hating listening to it.

[quote name='richrips' post='846978' date='May 24 2010, 10:33 PM']from memory:

verse (mostly octaves)

F (before bar) G then D then Eb then Bb then back to F and repeat

before chorus go from the Bb to B to C to F to G

chorus (not octaves)

Eb B F (fills on F... do them by ear!)

thats the basics i think. god i am bad at describing music! can we have someone better at this to help out?

r[/quote]
Thanks for that. That's similar to what I reckoned: the verse - Gm-Dm-Eb-Bb-Cm-F-Bb, and the chorus - Eb-Bb-Eb-Bb.

EDIT:for mixing up verse ending and chorus ending

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Rumple' post='846953' date='May 24 2010, 10:17 PM']I ordered it about 18 months ago from Amazon and still no sign of it :)[/quote]
Did Amazon take your money?

I ordered it from Bassline a few days ago and I've had an email saying it was sent Royal Mail first class packet but no sign yet - maybe tomorrow.

No they don't take the money until it's in stock, to be honest I had forgotten all about it until i spotted this thread. if yours turns up then maybe I'll cancel my Amazon order and go direct to Bassline.

R.

[quote name='Rumple' post='847219' date='May 25 2010, 09:41 AM']No they don't take the money until it's in stock, to be honest I had forgotten all about it until i spotted this thread. if yours turns up then maybe I'll cancel my Amazon order and go direct to Bassline.

R.[/quote]
It arrived this morning from Bassline.

[quote name='Lo.' post='847792' date='May 25 2010, 06:50 PM']Great track - here's my attempt

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxDFwviCss"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxDFwviCss[/url][/quote]

I think you have been blocked by the copyright police :) I was looking forward to viewing your playing.

Oh - OK, it said it may be blocked in some countries. Good grief, can't a guy pay a little tribute to a bass hero anymore :)

Here you go...just uploading now:

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241008/Music/thinkingofyou.wmv"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241008/Music/thinkingofyou.wmv[/url]

[quote name='Lo.' post='847974' date='May 25 2010, 09:54 PM']Oh - OK, it said it may be blocked in some countries. Good grief, can't a guy pay a little tribute to a bass hero anymore :rolleyes:

Here you go...just uploading now:

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241008/Music/thinkingofyou.wmv"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241008/Music/thinkingofyou.wmv[/url][/quote]
Very good, interesting to see it done but I'm still struggling with it. :)

I'm cool with the Stax/Atlantic/Motown/etc stuff but when it gets the disco octaves I'm much more uncomfortable - both my hands and my mind seem to be resistant, it doesn't come naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Rumple' post='846953' date='May 24 2010, 10:17 PM']I ordered it about 18 months ago from Amazon and still no sign of it :)[/quote]

Hi Rumple,

If you order it from Amazon you'll never get it! This book is only available from Bassline Publishing. Amazon lists any book with a barcode, and will claim they can get it for you. Every week they put in an order for about 8 of these books. I always deny the order, because they pay so little to independent publishers. In the case of this book and the first Level 42 book that I wrote, I would be selling them at a loss if I sold them to Amazon.

Incidentally, the book is currently out of stock, but I am arranging the reprint as we speak. If there is anyone here who has ordered and not received a copy please let me know.

Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='856868' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:28 AM']Hi Rumple,

If you order it from Amazon you'll never get it! This book is only available from Bassline Publishing. Amazon lists any book with a barcode, and will claim they can get it for you. Every week they put in an order for about 8 of these books. I always deny the order, because they pay so little to independent publishers. In the case of this book and the first Level 42 book that I wrote, I would be selling them at a loss if I sold them to Amazon.

Incidentally, the book is currently out of stock, but I am arranging the reprint as we speak. If there is anyone here who has ordered and not received a copy please let me know.

Stuart[/quote]

Hi Stuart,

How bad is that of Amazon! I'll be sure to order it directly from you when it's back in stock, I think I only ordered it from Amazon because i was ordering a few other books as Christmas gifts at the time.

All The Best

Dave