Why become a member? ×

Looking for a bit of squelch

Huw Foster

[quote name='Huwberry' post='848474' date='May 26 2010, 01:56 PM']Well, despite ruling out anything by EHX when I started this topic, I have completely and utterly contradicted myself.

I decided to go for the Q-Tron+ that jxljxl was selling. It was the effects loop that won me over - I'm gonna put an ODB-3 in there, as I don't use it at all on its own. What I'm really looking forward to is the combination of the Q-Tron with my OC-2! I'm anticipating some synthy, squelchy goodness.

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way. I'll refer back to this thread should I decide the Q-Tron isn't for me, or in the equally likely eventuality that I'll want a second filter on my pedal board. :)

Huw[/quote]

Congrats, for a first filter I reckon it would be hard to go wrong with that choice. Sure you'll always get your money back on the Q if y9u need/want to too.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='851493' date='May 29 2010, 10:10 PM']Congrats, for a first filter I reckon it would be hard to go wrong with that choice. Sure you'll always get your money back on the Q if y9u need/want to too.[/quote]
Definitely. Just done the first set at tonight's function, and I reckon I've just about got the squelch setting about right. Been putting an OC-2 before it in the signal chain, and an ODB-3 in the FX loop. Tasty.

I might just have to get another filter, regardless of keeping or selling the Q-tron. The new MXR maybe? :)

[quote name='Huwberry' post='851504' date='May 29 2010, 10:29 PM']Definitely. Just done the first set at tonight's function, and I reckon I've just about got the squelch setting about right. Been putting an OC-2 before it in the signal chain, and an ODB-3 in the FX loop. Tasty.

I might just have to get another filter, regardless of keeping or selling the Q-tron. The new MXR maybe? :)[/quote]

great, glad it's working out for you. fuzz, filter and octave are so irresistible together. My current combination for that is Groove Regulator with ZVex Mastotron in the loop for fuzz and then put the hole lot thru MXR BOD.

I am definitely tempted to try that new MXR Filter too.

Hope the second set makes it to number 11 on all the dials!

MXR looks like it has to be worth a go I keep watching the demo's on You Tube!

I wonder if you guys can explain the benefit of having an f/x loop on a filter pedal and how that might work with my existing set up? I run the Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk and Brown Dog together and that gives some interesting synth type sounds but of course that fuzz only seems to work with Agent pedal as the Bass IQ and Subdecay Prometheus are before the Brown Dog in the chain as they should be.

If I went for the Groove Regulator or the MXR I would want to add some slight overdrive to it (check out the tone from this clip [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrRH-W_WZgY)"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrRH-W_WZgY)[/url] but wonder how I would set this up on my existing board? Perhaps an f/x loop on the pedal would make this easier?

BTW has anyone tried the EHX Enigma the demo of that sounds good too! [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/enigma-745-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/enigma-745-p.asp[/url]

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='851507' date='May 29 2010, 10:41 PM']great, glad it's working out for you. fuzz, filter and octave are so irresistible together. My current combination for that is Groove Regulator with ZVex Mastotron in the loop for fuzz and then put the hole lot thru MXR BOD.

I am definitely tempted to try that new MXR Filter too.

Hope the second set makes it to number 11 on all the dials![/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='851606' date='May 30 2010, 08:24 AM']I wonder if you guys can explain the benefit of having an f/x loop on a filter pedal and how that might work with my existing set up? I run the Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk and Brown Dog together and that gives some interesting synth type sounds but of course that fuzz only seems to work with Agent pedal as the Bass IQ and Subdecay Prometheus are before the Brown Dog in the chain as they should be.[/quote]

The Chunk Systems combo is a different solution to the same issue - there's the "clean out" on the Brown Dog which feeds into the envelope in on the 00Funk, so you can put the heavy fuzz into the IN of the 00Funk but it's getting the envelope signal from the clean out - pre-fuzz - on the fuzz pedal.

That's basically all an FX loop on a filter does. It lets you put a clean signal into the IN, so the filter gets all your dynamics to create the envelope with, and then you can put whatever heavy dynamics-destroying nonsense pedals you like in the FX loop and your filter will still quack away.

If you ever get the opportunity, try running a Z.Vex Woolly Mammoth infront of an envelope filter. Any filter, it doesn't matter. Good luck getting the filter's envelope follower to do anything. :) The fuzz will compress your signal so much that there won't be any envelope left.