Why become a member? ×

Am I being a wee bit silly?

Bottle

Howdy y'all

Adventures in bass-land (tm)

Have been messing around with various configurations of amps 'n' cabs recently. Bought my first 'proper' bass cab last year (the 4x10 in my siggy). Then, a couple of months ago, I got the 1x15 to pair up with it. I've been trying various things out, like using my SansAmp to drive another amp and cab.

Well, this week went 'balls-to-the-wall' and tried out all the cabs and amps I own in a smorgasbord of bass - basically it was my GK head feeding the 4x10, with a Line-out into one channel of a power-amp to drive the 1x15 - this is the clean configuration. I stuck my SansAmp in the Effects loop, and used the effected output the drive the other amp channel with a bit of light grittiness and stuffed a couple of my 12" cheap-s*** PA cabs on the output. Wow!!! Me likey :lol:

There was an unbelievable amount of bass and general tastiness to be had - I think this will be my preferred config for larger venues (100+ people) - I was really surprised by the PA cabs (Maplin disco favourites), especially being driven by the SansAmp (my new best friend).

So, that got me thinking about cab configs - I'm GAS'ing for one of Alex's BareFaced Super Twelves now :)

Or maybe an 8x10? 4x12? 2x15? Any thoughts?

I then went one step further and stuck a crossover on the SansAmp output, sending the lows to four (yes, 4!!!) 12" PA cabs, and the mids to a pair of 10" PA speakers (I had to draft in another amp, bridged, to feed the 12's) - total wattage was conservatively estimated at 1,700w (DOOM???)

Ooooohhh!!! Couldn't get the volume up past 9 o'clock 'cos the paintings on the wall in the living room threatened to fall down with the rattling :rolleyes:

I might trot this out when we're doing some recording or something - no good live 'cos it's [b](1)[/b] [i]waaayyy[/i] too much gear to go in the car, and [b](2)[/b] takes too long to set up!!

What I might try live on Friday (I've got a gig in a school gym - about 30' x 60' sized) - a pair of 12" cabs (8-Ohm each) running directly off of the GK - could carry everything in with pretty much one trip from the car (and it'll all fit in the boot, barring my bass)

HTH, Ian

Edited by Bottle

Random speakers and bodgery to make them sound is Doom. Cab config/speaker size doesn't really tell you enough about the sound.

If you are messing with crossovers, running the bassy cab full range and high passing the drivey (guitar type cabs) is ideal.

Sansamp likes PA cabs because that is what it is designed for.

Went to see this band on the weekend. He has more amps and cabs now, and borrowed the other bands bass rig, since they were a man down. It blew the electrics when he hit a note, roughly 4000w draw. Had to unplug a few and back in business. Light bulbs shattered and fell from the ceiling.

I did a gig with a band called Pombagira a little while back and the vocalist/guitarist had a monstrous rig. A pair of Sunn Model T's, a pair of old Marshall's (super leads I think) an some other old valve heads running through 4 4x12's and 2 8x10's. The first band I've seen that actually made my balls flap about ...Im being super serious!

This isn,t silly, at least not in my confused world!! :-)
My band are playing a gig in peterboro in a couple of weeks and my guitarist has suggested me using my ampeg gear alongside by GK stuff....
I thought this a good idea so I,ll be using my GK 700 rb II 2x10 combo sitting on the 4x10 rbh cab that I use with it.
It,ll be next to two ampeg 8x10s driven by my pair of svt2pros.
With a little luck I think I,ll be able to hear myself.. :)

[quote name='TankJon' post='842595' date='May 19 2010, 10:13 PM']I did a gig with a band called Pombagira a little while back and the vocalist/guitarist had a monstrous rig. A pair of Sunn Model T's, a pair of old Marshall's (super leads I think) an some other old valve heads running through 4 4x12's and 2 8x10's. The first band I've seen that actually made my balls flap about ...Im being super serious![/quote]

I nearly sold dude another 4x12. Laney Klipp one, think he has a klipp head or two.

Wizbat; make sure those 8x10s are side by side and not spread, combing is very real.

Man, that's some awesome doomage!!

Tell you what, my rig didn't half sound bad when I hit the low open D hehehehe

Well, this thread would be nothing without some piccies, so here goes:

Edited by Bottle

I'm quite happy with my OTB and compact, I've already broke light fittings on low volumes.

Unless I can find the effort to buy and then lug around my dreambass rig, I'm more than happy for now though.

I'll maybe get another a midget or another compact in the future, just to kill myself in my room.

crikey im surprised those maplin 12's survived bass guitar lol!

i work in a guitar and PA shop around the corner from a maplin, and often have younger inexperienced folk bringing them in after they have destroyed them with drum and bass, and maplin have refused to take them back as the warranty doesn't cover misue lol...

obviously they can work if someone who understands uses them :)

[quote name='JMT3781' post='843254' date='May 20 2010, 04:16 PM']crikey im surprised those maplin 12's survived bass guitar lol!

i work in a guitar and PA shop around the corner from a maplin, and often have younger inexperienced folk bringing them in after they have destroyed them with drum and bass, and maplin have refused to take them back as the warranty doesn't cover misue lol...

obviously they can work if someone who understands uses them :lol:[/quote]
TBH I hadn't cranked the volume [i]too[/i] much :lol: but it's worth keeping in mind if I ever try the rig out live (unlikely). I might take a pair of the 12's along with the 4x10 and 1x15, and run them full-range without the x-over - that sounded pretty good and only required my GK and one of the PS1000 amps.

For the above piccies I wired the 12" cabs in series-parallel so the whole lot was still 8 Ohms, and the power handling should be 800w rms, so not being over-driven by the amp (500w bridged into 8 Ohms). And I'm a careful chap :rolleyes:

Still, a worthwhile exercise! Has now left me with cab-GAS :)

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='843263' date='May 20 2010, 04:25 PM']TBH I hadn't cranked the volume [i]too[/i] much :lol: but it's worth keeping in mind if I ever try the rig out live (unlikely). I might take a pair of the 12's along with the 4x10 and 1x15, and run them full-range without the x-over - that sounded pretty good and only required my GK and one of the PS1000 amps.

For the above piccies I wired the 12" cabs in series-parallel so the whole lot was still 8 Ohms, and the power handling should be 800w rms, so not being over-driven by the amp (500w bridged into 8 Ohms). And I'm a careful chap :rolleyes:

Still, a worthwhile exercise! Has now left me with cab-GAS :)

HTH, Ian[/quote]

I've got some cabs going, all come pre-approved for Doom.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='843412' date='May 20 2010, 06:54 PM']I've got some cabs going, all come pre-approved for Doom.[/quote]
Awesome!!!

But I think I'll get some dirty looks when I tip up to play on a Sunday morning at church with some Doom-age in tow :). Still, worth keeping in mind if I need some extra cabs - trouble will be moving everything (I've got a Polo hatchback) and storage. But I like the idea of lots of stupidly large cabs to get my point across to our drummer :rolleyes:

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='843475' date='May 20 2010, 07:54 PM']Awesome!!!

But I think I'll get some dirty looks when I tip up to play on a Sunday morning at church with some Doom-age in tow :). Still, worth keeping in mind if I need some extra cabs - trouble will be moving everything (I've got a Polo hatchback) and storage. But I like the idea of lots of stupidly large cabs to get my point across to our drummer :rolleyes:

HTH, Ian[/quote]

The Old Testament is Doom.

One is a lightweight, so might be good for ya.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='843489' date='May 20 2010, 08:06 PM']The Old Testament is Doom.[/quote]
Quite right, but does that mean that the New Testament is Nu Metal then?

[quote]One is a lightweight, so might be good for ya.[/quote]
Is this the 4x12? :)

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='843640' date='May 20 2010, 10:48 PM']Quite right, but does that mean that the New Testament is Nu Metal then?[/quote]

New Testament is hippy stuff. Probably "stoner rock" [spits]. When people say the Bible isn't true, the mean the New Testament is not True Doom.

[quote name='Bottle' post='843640' date='May 20 2010, 10:48 PM']Is this the 4x12? :)[/quote]

4x12 and lightweight would barely be Doom. This is a 6x12. Doom.