Why become a member? ×

Peavey Combo 300 115BW (and an Aria Pro II bass)

Chest Rockwell

Basically... I have the above and have replaced it so I'm looking to sell. I'm also interested in it's history and how I managed to pick it up in West Wales for £250 or thereabouts in about 1989. I've gigged it 6 times when I was younger and just carted round the few houses I've lived in. For years I didnt even plug it in, until the last year when at 37 my first midlife crisis kicked in and i decided to be a rock star again.

so, anyone know anything about these beasts? It's loud as hell, and grinds at higher volumes. always been good to keep up with screaming noise guitarists.

The bass I know all about, I bought it new for £280 in Swansea about the same time. I just never see 'em around and Im curious if anyone rates them cos I always found it fine, pretty fast and easy to play (not that im that good or anything!). maybe a bit clanky and I never did get the hang of the active circuit and the constantly dead battery.

any thoughts?

[quote]Then I picked up the Peavey Combo 300 for about £250. Massively loud and always handing for pulling widdling guitarists out of their Megadeth nirvana! :rolleyes: If anyone can furnish me with info or thoughts on the Aria, I'd be happy, cos I know nothing about the model specifically but always wondered where it sat in the scheme of things (i.e. how much is it worth :)) probably not much, but like I said, I always found it better than other things I tried. Not much on it 'cept 'Aria Pro II SLB series electrics' and '0012035' stamp.

Also curious bout where the Peavey combo originated (Model 115BW, Serial 3A-01417190). I dont see 'em anywhere, except one that went on Ebay recently for just under £300. This has to be early 80's or something and im guessing came from The States? It's damn loud when needed.

i know this isnt high end gear, but having lived with 'em for nearly 20 years, I'm curious!

I will likely sell the Peavey now as I dont have the space, but I'll keep the Aria as it's probably a low cost bass and so worth more to me to keep around.[/quote]

I had a Combo 300 maybe 20 years ago,similar to yours. Found it okay, but not overloud and very heavy too on the single handle!
As for now, reckon you'd be looking at asking say £125/£150 for it perhaps? Bit old school for nowadays, but great USA unit built
like a brick outhouse. Would be ideal for a rehearsal room etc.
Cheers
Pete.

I think this was the one between the TNT150 and the Databass - the TNTs usually go for £100 ish and the Databass just over £200 so the previous quote should be about right.

They are worth more but there's so much lightweight stuff around these days that people are abandoning the older heavy duty gear - except me

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Delberthot' post='844593' date='May 21 2010, 08:35 PM']They are worth more but there's so much lightweight stuff around these days that people are abandoning the older heavy duty gear - except me[/quote]
....and me

Quite like the idea of the Combo 300.....I love my TNT but that little bit of extra oomph wouldn't go amiss

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='854930' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:44 PM']thanks guys!!

As it isnt shifting in a hurry, not that I've made much effort, I think I'll just move it upstairs and keep it as a 'practice' amp. Should come in handy when the people in the flat nextdoor decide to bang and crash around. have some BASS.. :lol:[/quote]

Just replied to your post in the show us your rig thread.

[quote]Ooh! Your Peavey 300 BW is shinier than mine.
I can tell you that yours is a series one Combo 300 BW (that's the 1x15 Black Widow speaker). Made in the USA and possibly bought from the shop in Essex where Trace Elliot started. My orginal one was (in 84).[/quote]

Peavey had dealers all over the place but the shop in Essex seemed to have the 300's more than anyone. Enough for me to treck out there from North London to get one.

[quote]They are the dog's as far as I'm concerned for that kind of combo. Probably made around 84 or 85. After that they were face lifted, twice I think.

I paid £100 for the one I have now about 18 months ago. It does look like it spent 10 years in a damp cellar - because it did. However it does have casters and big inset handles in the side to help limit the back damage. £20 for a bit of dry joint soldering and a swift overhaul and it's fine for my rawk and jam gigs.
It's a rag rig. Looks like poo, sounds great and, as you say, loud enough to deter marauding guitarists...[/quote]

They were synchronous with the TNT 80 watt 1x15 but are a lot louder, especially with an extension cab. Try your barefaced if the ohms work out :)
Also the clever little powered 2x8 top box with the crossover was a good addition Peavey used to do.

Anyway Value? £150 max I think and pick up only too... Not popular with kids brought up on little kickback hartkes etc. Not fashionable and a tad heavy for us old guys :rolleyes:
A forgotten gem though.