Why become a member? ×

Single Coil Precision pickup- Replacement options.

cameltoe

Hi all,

I recently aquired a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision. I've wanted one for ages, and it will be gigged, although primarily as a back up. I found out pretty quickly that the pickup is a bit weak, and along with a wiring kit I'd like to change the pickup for something a bit more powerful.

Soundwise, it has to be nice and punchy, not completely flat as I do want to cut through a touch, and certainly nothing too muddy or warm that sounds spread out- I like the low end to be tight. Having just got rid of a bass that had a P/J pickup combo I actually realised how much I liked the addition of the J pickup in terms of adding a bit of richness to the tone. If I could find a single coil that does this (or gets close) that would be amazing.

On the other thread where i show off my bass, I've had some interesting recommendations of both a Lollar pickup, and a Seymour Duncan QP.

There's not a great deal in price, I can find the Lollar for £64 online, and I think the SD are usually £55-ish. What I want, is to find the best p'up for the job.

Any advice and further recommendations appreciated, although £64 is about my limit TBH.

Cheers.

I've had both and although the Lollar is the better of the 2 pickups I would go for the 1/4" pounder based on what you are looking for.

The Lollar is a big, beefy sounding pickup which is the dogs for a growly, aggressive, clear tone to fill out a 3 piece but the SD is the punchier of the 2.

The Lollar tended to get lost with a second guitar or keyboard which is why I had the SD in my gold warmoth for the wedding/function band and the Lollar for the rock band

Edited by Delberthot

I was lucky & found a stunning Seymour Duncan antiquity on Ebay for £28. This is in my 51RI - I liked the stock pup but I couldn't pass up this bargain. If you want to save a few quid I have the Fender 51RI pup that i'd post to you for £15. If not no worries but I always felt it would be a great upgrade for a Squier.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='842414' date='May 19 2010, 07:29 PM']I was lucky & found a stunning Seymour Duncan antiquity on Ebay for £28. This is in my 51RI - I liked the stock pup but I couldn't pass up this bargain. If you want to save a few quid I have the Fender 51RI pup that i'd post to you for £15. If not no worries but I always felt it would be a great upgrade for a Squier.[/quote]

PM'ed