Why become a member? ×

Home made 2x15

Leftbass

I used 2 15" Peavey Black Widows and a horn to create this monster of a cab and now I've road tested it it's awesome. It has a really warm and powerful sound and I think I've found the sound I've been waiting for. Dimensions are similar to the Hartke 215vx at just over 120 cm high, 61 cm wide and 45 cm deep very light considering the 18mm plywood construction due to it being construction grade.
:)

Edited by Leftbass

[quote name='umph' post='839036' date='May 16 2010, 12:33 PM']did you just stick a random port in or did you tune it properly to the drivers? Nice work by the way[/quote]
+1. It may be OK tuning wise, but it's far too small and will chuff at high levels. Two ports with the proper duct length will work much better; minimum recommend diameter with fifteens is 6 inches [i]per driver[/i]. While at it, the cab could use panel to panel bracing fore to aft, side to side and top to bottom. Doing so with even single 1 inch wide braces will quadruple the panel stiffness.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='839080' date='May 16 2010, 06:33 PM']+1. It may be OK tuning wise, but it's far too small and will chuff at high levels. Two ports with the proper duct length will work much better; minimum recommend diameter with fifteens is 6 inches [i]per driver[/i]. While at it, the cab could use panel to panel bracing fore to aft, side to side and top to bottom. Doing so with even single 1 inch wide braces will quadruple the panel stiffness.[/quote]

Is this mostly for when you are cramming loads of power into it? I have noticed old cabs have small ports, guessing its because the 2 15s are for sensitivity for lower powered valve amps, and just didn't take those sort of power levels.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='839089' date='May 16 2010, 01:37 PM']Is this mostly for when you are cramming loads of power into it? I have noticed old cabs have small ports, guessing its because the 2 15s are for sensitivity for lower powered valve amps, and just didn't take those sort of power levels.[/quote]If you go back 20 years or more when drivers with 2mm or less excursion limits were common, limiting them to 20 watts before going non-linear, then yes, you could get away with smaller ports. I wouldn't call 100 watts per driver loads of power, and most B-Ws will take that. If given that much the OP would get chuffing big time.

Well I'm sorry guys very little science went into this build. The port is fitted randomly but it was previously in the T Max 115 combo and in a similar position. As for bracing I'm happy with the build, I comb jointed the back and sides for extra glue area and housed the front baffle into the sides then screwed and glued. These BW's are rated at 350w and up to 700w program. Its wired parallel to 4 ohms and ran from the T max amp. Like I said I used it Saturday and was blown away with the sound. Other band members comments were also positive. :)

[quote name='Leftbass' post='839550' date='May 17 2010, 10:00 AM'].......... Like I said I used it Saturday and was blown away with the sound. Other band members comments were also positive. :)[/quote]

And that is really all that matters! :rolleyes:

Guest MoJo

You've encouraged me to get my tools out. I'd love a Peavey 2x15 but decent examples are rare. Not getting what I'm looking for from the 410TVX which, although loud and punchy, doesn't have the voicing that I'm looking for.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='840820' date='May 18 2010, 01:29 PM']You've encouraged me to get my tools out. I'd love a Peavey 2x15 but decent examples are rare. Not getting what I'm looking for from the 410TVX which, although loud and punchy, doesn't have the voicing that I'm looking for.[/quote]
I agree the TVX range lack something I have the 210. I think its the mdf construction which apart from being heavy also affects the tone.