Why become a member? ×

Advice please!

Rachel

It's really tough to choose without actually listening to either of them :)

In terms of 'brand' name then Eden is a bigger & better known brand with greater visibility. The 4x10 was pretty much THE touring cab of choice, along with the SWR Goliath, for lots of pro musicians for many years. You'll still see Edens all over the place in pro bands (especially in the US).

This doesn't mean it's essentially any 'better' than the DR Bass (although it will sound different given the speaker configuration) but may mean it would be easier to sell at a later date.

It's also a 4 ohm which is good if you want to release max power from whatever amp you choose but not so good if you'd ever want to add an additional cab as a lot of amps will struggle to run at 2 ohms.

Mini review of the Eden here: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/496/cat/28"]http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduc...duct/496/cat/28[/url]

[quote name='Rachel' post='839520' date='May 17 2010, 09:31 AM']It's lighter than what I'm using at the moment, so that's good!

... unless that Dr BAss one has a major plus point that I haven't considered (apart from the price, obv!)...[/quote]

It is over 20lb lighter thanks to the neodymium speakers, and the 8" should give it a beautiful clear mid-range that projects well (caveat - I've not actually heard it! They're more common in the states, but I believe they're well-designed), and the attenuators on the crossover add versatility. Plus it's 8 ohms which gives the option of an extension cab at a later date, whereas the Eden gives you 400w max power handling and that's 4 ohms so you're stuck with it unless you get a 2ohm-capable amp.

Having said that, the Eden will sound nice and do a decent job - well-respected brand as you say, so will be easier to shift in future, and that's also up at a good price. I've heard of a few dying when pushed hard with lots of low-end though, but that's not unique to Eden even among higher-end manufacturers! (Don't trust watts ratings over what your ears tell you)

So..to sum up what is on the table so far.. and bearing in mind we haven't heard or seen them.

GK amps..should be decent..either models. needs cabs

Warwick rig... good name and a matched set-up. Rack mounted amp with a 2x10 and 1x15.
can be spilt for those bigger and smaller gigs.. the modular set-up is good in that regard. You get the job done with this package and no more shopping trips.

SWR Workingman 2x12 and 2x10..will sound good. The Warwick should beat the workingman for kudos, IMV.

Eden 212. Top cab from them. Will do all you need and if you need more volume then you are too loud and need PA. :)

DR Bass. Small and lighter and will be loud. Not as loud as the other cabs probably but is that the compromise you want to make for its compactness?

Hey, that was helpful, JTUK!

Yes, the trouble I have now is that I have gone from having no idea whatsoever, to not being able to choose!

I have just gone back to look at the Warwick rig...it does look good, and like you said, it's a complete package. How does Warwick rate?

It would seem that I would get the depth and clarity from the Dr Bass cab... and it's cheap...but of course I haven't bought the amp yet.

Eden... looks very nice, wouldn't be able to add anything to it as it's 4ohms, but then, I don't have anything else! But would I need to add more to this?

Just waiting for a few replies to PMs...

Decisions, decisions!

Warwick is decent gear..as is all this stuff, I think.

Warwick, like SWR and Eden have a pro line...which can be the DB's or overkill depending on your POV.
I am not sure whether this is their top end stuff, but the SWR Workingman's gear is their cheaper line.
That doesn't make it bad, by any means and as I said, none of this gear is tosh..all good respectable gear, I think.

The best 'best' cab is probably the Eden 2x12. You will not need any other cab with that, IMV, but you are stuck with lugging that to every playing situation. It would need casters, IMO.

If the SWR kit matches up..ie, both cabs are the same model, not speaker config, as in the Workingman's series, then they will be good.

If it were me, buying for you..I'd go for the Warwick..but you can understand I feel a bit wary of saying that...due to the nature of all thing i-net
and only going on pics etc..

Best of luck with YOUR choices :)