Why become a member? ×

Aria SB - Please identify

AndyTravis

Which Model SB is this?

Spotted it locally. It's been up for just under £500 for ages, so i'm going to offer bottom bollocks for it.

Seems worth a punt?

I'm thinking an SB700 - Mid Eighties? Deffo not an early example. It is Japanese, and it's decent enough condition.

It hasn't got the BB Circuit, but is neck though, single pickup. A strange Teal/Blue Metallic which i haven't seen before.

My covers band is about to start rehearsal, so i want a decent 80's style bass, and i like SB's.

Thanks for any info.

Trav

Did you buy this after? I have a pearl white Elite II which Id recommend to anyone. I reckon this would be just as good. As far as Im aware it has the same electronics and neck as the black and gold Cliff Burton used. The Elite II is really easy to play for long periods of time and if you have fenders too (as I do) the neck is always a pleasant surprise when you pick it up. I vote do it.

I didn't get chance to go down today...

I'm not that fond of the gaff where it currently resides - Long story to do wth a Jaydee.

I'm sure it's lovely, although it'll no doubt need a scrub and brush up; this place is the kind of shop you'd see a brew on top of a vintage vox head.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='837749' date='May 14 2010, 10:39 PM']Which Model SB is this? I'm thinking an SB700 ... . It is Japanese ... . It hasn't got the BB Circuit, but is neck though, single pickup.[/quote]

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='837760' date='May 14 2010, 10:54 PM']SB - ELITE I ... 1986 ish?[/quote]

The SB Elite-I ('83 to '86, previously SB-R60 ('80/'81 to '83)) is the 18mm pitch bridge/40mm width nut version of the SB700 (which features 16mm pitch bridge/45mm width nut). 18/40 versions can be identified by the "eye" position markers as opposed to dot position markers on 16/45 versions. The serial number will give you the date information you need - a seven-digit serial indicated the instrument was manufactured in the 80s (the first digit of the serial indicates year within the decade).

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='838502' date='May 15 2010, 09:42 PM']See what the boys in the shop can do about their seemingly high price.[/quote]

Personally, wouldn't go higher than £250 for any SB700 variant. But you'd probably have to go to around £350 on eBay.