Why become a member? ×

Build Diary - GB Spitfire 6

pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='998821' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:25 PM']Nope. He's a small operation at the end of the day. There are a number of players that have credited Bernie like Mark King used to, and like Stuart Clayton still does, but nothing official in terms of endorsement... Everyone pays... Lol.[/quote]

I was on Bernies board a while ago but couldnt go ahead with my builds...... What i cant understand is why the pros or those in a higher profile are not picking up on his basses and using them??

I guess because you don't see them in stores etc anywhere in the world. The only way to pic one up and try it is to make a specific journey to Brighton or find someone that already has one.

I think if you out a GB in the hands of more people then more people would use them, but being a small company, and one that doesn't really advertise all that much or throw basses at pro musicians that's just not going to happen in a hurry.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='998916' date='Oct 24 2010, 03:26 PM']so am i right in thinking the spalted is going to be stained a colour, then lacquered?? looking absolutely gorgeous btw :)[/quote]

It is going to be stained around the edges up to about 2-3" in, effectively like you would do a sunburst, but far more subtle and in a tone that matches the grain on the wood. Then lacquered.

Kinda hard to explain the staining but hopefully I'll have a pic within a week which will explain better...

Edited by pantherairsoft

• 3 weeks later...

The colouring is spot on... and the back of the headstock looks pretty stunning - it turned out great as I know Bernie had a concern about spalted laminates, looks like he managed to get the things on just perfect.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1018006' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:20 PM']Agreed bud. Stunning result. The headstock facing really sets it off...[/quote]

I can't wait for this to be finished...

...so Bernie can get round to finishing mine!! :):):)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a chat with Bernie this afternoon. A few delay's took place due to the temperature in the spray shop not being suitable for the poly laquer... this has now been sorted, and after a 2nd trip to the spray shop to get the finish exactly as we discussed, the bass is back with Bernie and having the final assembly done as we speak...

Bass should be with me as soon as the temperature deems it suitable to be in the back of a couriers van, OR I can find a way to get down to Brighton (If anyone fancies a road trip, let me know!!!).

I've been promised a pic later or tomorrow so watch this space :)