Why become a member? ×

Is it worth trading my bass for this bass ?

chris2401

Hello everyone!this is my first post/question.just wanted to ask:

i have a fender jazz bass '06 usa highway one.a few days ago this dude offered a trade with a ovation magnum I bass from the late '70s (1978).i just wanted your opinion,is it worth trading?I know,fender is fender,but a vintage bass from the 70's surely has much more value.i asked a few bass players i know and they havent ever heard of the bass!!!I usually like to play rock music(alternative rock,like muse,placebo,30stm and so) and the jazz bass isnt covering me 100% on that music.thanks everyone!

chris.

Ovation mags are bullet proof (no actually bomb proof) solid workhorses.

2ndhand they would I guess work out pretty similar in value providing similar condition.

However if your H1 is mint and the Mag is a dog then hang onto your H1 - No brainer...!

If you like the Mag (and I suggest play the hell out of it and thru your rig first before making any kind of decision) and you are happy with its condition then you and only you can make that decision.

You're right in some respects tho - the Mag is quite a rare beast and will be starting to appreciate in value and the H1 is just another H1.

Oh and BTW if you get some pics of the Mag posted on here several of the guys and gals own them so they can tell you if its been messed about.

Sod the value, do you prefer the other bass?

If you're asking, am I making a silly move financially, then the answer is YES if you don't like the other bass - just because it's older doesn't mean much and ovation are not a brand with much of a following when it comes to basses.

However, if you prefer it, then it's the right thing to do if it makes you happy.

Also, I'd be surprised if a jazz couldn't do a decent job of the genres you list, but something with either a MM pickup or maybe even a Precision would perhaps be a better bet?

What amp(s) are you running? In my opinion the amps and cabs choice are crucial, almost more than the bass itself!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='835664' date='May 12 2010, 08:51 PM']The prospective value of a vintage bass is immaterial unless you're a hardened collector. You buy basses to play them, so which do you prefer to play & listen to? That's the real question you need to be asking yourself. :)[/quote]

+1 Totaly agree with that

play them both side by side and compare for yourself through YOUR rig
thats the only way to deicde properly, don't be lured in with the vintage cool thing,
if the bass plays crap or something bugs you about it, stick with the H1 but if it feels nice
and solid has no issues and you like it go for it. i sold a westbury a while ago for £150
and just bought the same kind back for £260 sometimes you don't realise how good what you
have is till it's gone and your stuck with something you got with a momentry bit of gas. in short
don't make a snap decision i've done it a few times never worth it