Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass Guitars for 400-450gbp that are worth considering

earthchild

Hey,

Ive been looking for an acoustic bass guitar with a budget of 400 - 450 gbp, and unfortunately cant try much out for sound and playability - living somewhere with barely any choice available.

As many of you may have a lot more experience than myself in this area, could you please recommend models available nowadays that would be worth considering.

Would appreciate all input.

Thanks

I've got an Ibanez AEB 8E? it's the cheapset one they do it's about £199 these days , it's great.
They do loads of other models ,my experience with their cheapie leads me to think that their top end models must be pretty good.
[url="http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-aeb"]http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-aeb[/url]

Ibby's are great IME. I think the Rockbass Alien might be in your price range too. Some of the Wahsburn acoustics I've tried have been very good also.
Tanglewood have a lot of models around that price too but I haven't come across any at the same standard as Ibby or Washburn.

I would consider looking at the Michael Kelly Dragonfly basses. Have tried a few through work, and they sound and play great. They also look pretty cool (and unique)

[quote name='Mog' post='834774' date='May 11 2010, 10:16 PM']Ibby's are great IME. I think the Rockbass Alien might be in your price range too. Some of the Wahsburn acoustics I've tried have been very good also.
Tanglewood have a lot of models around that price too but I haven't come across any at the same standard as Ibby or Washburn.[/quote]

I have tried one of the Fender Kingman bass acoustics.

Basically an acoustic with a Fender Jazz neck.

Now - to me - unplugged it sounded quite full and rich, although not loud - but plugged in, with the Fishman preamp, I sounded really quite warm.

With the Jazz neck, the fretting arm/hand notices no difference between a standard Jazz and one of these.

The body, as you would expect, is a bit more bulky, but was still extremely comfortable.

For around £265 from Sounds-Live, I don't feel you could go far wrong with one of these - unless you don't get on with a Jazz profile neck :)

Thanks again for all the input folks.

Just a question regarding the basses mentioned in earlier posts (if anyone's tried) - do any of these aurally suffice with one or two other guitars in the picture?
That'd be a fairly big concern and I was hoping to avoid plugging the acoustic in as much as possible.

The fender kingman seems interesting, but like mentioned in the post earlier, i was slightly unsure about how loud it could project the highs n lows.

The warwick alien standard is attractive with the tacoma/olympia-like positioning of the sound-hole. Has anyone had a go at one of these?

I'm still underexposed, so if possible, please do mention anything else thats worth knowing/considering.

The Ibanez isn't that loud unplugged. I had a cheap nasty no name with a smaller body that was a bit louder but very clunky.
I've tried an Eko that was fairly loud.
Many years ago (10?) I tried some in a shop in Brighton. They had about 5 acoustics, two Fenders (not the Kingma) stood out from the rest (acoustics were still a bit of a rarity then) one was natural finish , the other black. The black one was significantly louder. The heavy finish must have had an influence.