Why become a member? ×

In ear monitoring? What type? Brand?

[quote name='Jimelliottbassist' post='831196' date='May 8 2010, 07:46 AM']Hi am thinking of using in ear monitoring and need some advice regarding what brands people have had experience with and the best to buy it from?

Cheers Jim[/quote]

Hello Jim,
One crucial point to bear in mind whatever you go for MAKE SURE they are on UK channel 38. The current free 'public' channel UK 69 is being sold off by the government as part of an Europe-wide bandwidth realignment.
As to brands, we've had Sennheiser Evo 2 in our hire stock for a couple of years, they are popular and reliable. Sennheisers newest system Evo3 is the updated, current model. The new Shure system, the PSM 900, is awesome, as is most Shure wireless kit, and we're planning to buy that when our Senneheisers are made obsolete by the bandwidth changes at the end of 2012.
If you're looking for something cheaper I believe that MiPro do a system- I've not used the IEM's but their radio mics, for the money, are very good.
The other part of the IEM equation- which you may or may not be aware of- is what to use at the headphone end. Each brand comes with generic headphones, which are really just a variant on iPod headphones. If you want to do it properly you'll need to have moulds made of your ears and then you get into a whole world of -gruesomely expensive- dual and triple driver earphones. Shure are again very good for stuff like this, or if you really fancy going for it, try Ultimate Ears.
You may find some older Shure systems the PSM 200/600/700 secondhand. All fine, but beware of looming bandwidth issues per above.
One last point. IEM's take a bit of getting used to and they don't suit everyone. It might be a good idea to rent/ borrow a system before you buy- about £40 per day from us or pretty much any decent PA company- to see if you like.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any q's and best of luck
Stuart

One thing to add to the above.... yes even though it looks as though Channel 38 is where RF will end up.... If you are using Sennheiser G2/G3 IEM or other radio equipment.... it will NOT become obsolete at switch over as these units will still be able to operate in.

In fact you can and will be able to run up to 6 G3 systems in the de-reg bands on channel 70 without license. These frequencies are - 863.100 MHz, 863.400 MHz, 863.750 MHz, 864.225 MHz, 864.550 MHz and 864.975 MHz

J

[quote name='W1_Pro' post='831930' date='May 9 2010, 08:25 AM']Hello Jim,
One last point. IEM's take a bit of getting used to and they don't suit everyone. It might be a good idea to rent/ borrow a system before you buy- about £40 per day from us or pretty much any decent PA company- to see if you like.[/quote]
A big +1 to try before you buy. It is a different way to go. The #2 guitarist in my band & I love it. Drummer & #1 guitarist hate it & still use small monitors.

Make sure the phones can handle bass and sit & stay in your ear. I've ended up with the Christmas tree type tunnel fits on the Shure's I use as all the others tended to work slightly lose, at which point the bass disappears. Also try with both plugs in & 1 in / 1 out. I tend to the latter to stop feeling too isolated

I use AKG IEM4 with Shure phones - it took a while to get used to it but I love it. You can feel isolated, so I often have an ambient mic mixed into my foldback so I can hear general background.

Make sure your mixing desk has enough foldback channels so that you can have your own mix.

At rehearsal I take a DI straight into one channel of the IEM4 transmitted, and a mic into the other channel so I can hear the band.
I set the unit to mono with some 'room' ambience effect on.

It is really great to finish a rehearsal or come off stage with no ringing in my ears!

The Shure phone come with different ear adapters - someone on here said they use the yellow foam ones as you get more sound bleeding through from the band and feel less isolated - I haven't tried that yet.

Edited by martinbass7750

Ive been thinking about going down this route for monitoring,just how expensive is it?
I know absolutely nothing about wireless systems and have no idea what the costs would be for any of it whether it be low end or high end with ear moulds etc.

how does it all work,keep it simple please...i am a drummer remember!

[quote name='Meenie' post='833109' date='May 10 2010, 02:49 PM']Ive been thinking about going down this route for monitoring,just how expensive is it?
I know absolutely nothing about wireless systems and have no idea what the costs would be for any of it whether it be low end or high end with ear moulds etc.

how does it all work,keep it simple please...i am a drummer remember![/quote]

Maybe for drums you could use a cabled in ear system? The theory being you're static on stage so wouldn't need the expense and potential headaches that go with wireless gear.

A simple headphone amp with your earphones and fed from the monitor mixer should do it...

Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='833117' date='May 10 2010, 02:57 PM']Maybe for drums you could use a cabled in ear system? The theory being you're static on stage so wouldn't need the expense and potential headaches that go with wireless gear.

A simple headphone amp with your earphones and fed from the monitor mixer should do it...

Jon[/quote]

sorry,ive caused a misunderstanding there,i want the in ear monitoring for playing bass not drums.

The drummer comment was just so you all knew i was borderline caveman and didnt use words of more than two syllables to describe stuff!

[quote name='Meenie' post='833122' date='May 10 2010, 03:07 PM']sorry,ive caused a misunderstanding there,i want the in ear monitoring for playing bass not drums.

The drummer comment was just so you all knew i was borderline caveman and didnt use words of more than two syllables to describe stuff![/quote]

Very good!

I suppose the old addage of 'You get what you pay for' will apply here.

Good luck on your quest,
JTB

Anyone had any experience with these? For the money they look great [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_iem_100_863_mhz.htm"]CLICKY CLICKY[/url]

Plus these are on 863-865mhz which is not affected in the dreaded Digital Switch Over.

![quote name='jonthebass' post='833155' date='May 10 2010, 03:43 PM']Very good!

I suppose the old addage of 'You get what you pay for' will apply here.

Good luck on your quest,
JTB[/quote]