Why become a member? ×

P-bass Frequencies?!

Hi,
Im just doing a write up for uni and I need to find out what the natural frequencies for a Fender P-bass is?

I know every bass is different and all but the pickups must have a similar frequency scoop on them though? I think its a dip in the mids but Im not really sure as I have never spent enough time on one to think about it! lol I never seem to get along with P-basses for some reason...

If anyone has a rough Idea of a frequency I would greatly appreciate it!! Doesn't really matter on model just need an idea! lol

Cheers,
Gary

[quote name='GaryTheBassMan' post='830520' date='May 7 2010, 11:51 AM']Hi,
Im just doing a write up for uni and I need to find out what the natural frequencies for a Fender P-bass is?

I know every bass is different and all but the pickups must have a similar frequency scoop on them though? I think its a dip in the mids but Im not really sure as I have never spent enough time on one to think about it! lol I never seem to get along with P-basses for some reason...

If anyone has a rough Idea of a frequency I would greatly appreciate it!! Doesn't really matter on model just need an idea! lol

Cheers,
Gary[/quote]
Come on man, EVERYONE knows the frequencies of a P Bass, it's been discussed on here so often by all the P Bass tone afficionados.

The frequenies are called "Classic P-Bass Thump"

Relax, I'm sure silddx wasn't having a go.

I've had a quick browse around google and can't find the figures nor know enough about them to guess.

But by 'classic p-bass thump', we mean a real spike in the low-mid frequencies - as for the top end, it's not as clear as a jazz bass.

That may be complete nonsense.

[quote name='HMX' post='830584' date='May 7 2010, 12:41 PM']Relax, I'm sure silddx wasn't having a go.

I've had a quick browse around google and can't find the figures nor know enough about them to guess.

But by 'classic p-bass thump', we mean a real spike in the low-mid frequencies - as for the top end, it's not as clear as a jazz bass.

That may be complete nonsense.[/quote]

Haha Im propper stressing over assinements atm, easily annoyed and all!! Hopefully will be out of the way soon thankfully!!

Yeah I spent a while on google and couldnt find anythign!! Im pretty f***ing clueless when it comes to all the technical frequency stuff!! lol

Ill just go for a spike in the low-mids, Im sure that will do!!

Gary

[quote name='GaryTheBassMan' post='830592' date='May 7 2010, 12:47 PM']Haha Im propper stressing over assinements atm, easily annoyed and all!! Hopefully will be out of the way soon thankfully!!

Yeah I spent a while on google and couldnt find anythign!! Im pretty f***ing clueless when it comes to all the technical frequency stuff!! lol

Gary[/quote]
I know how you feel, I've had many assignments and have 6 exams soon.

Adrenochrome above ^ knows what he's talking about more than I do, 500Hz sounds about right.

[quote name='HMX' post='830595' date='May 7 2010, 12:48 PM']I know how you feel, I've had many assignments and have 6 exams soon.

Adrenochrome above ^ knows what he's talking about more than I do, 500Hz sounds about right.[/quote]

haha yeah I just had a beautiful 2 weeks of exams of various manors!! bad times!!

Yeah I saw that once I posted!! thanks Adrenochrome!! Was very helpful!!

[quote name='silddx' post='830562' date='May 7 2010, 12:24 PM']Come on man, EVERYONE knows the frequencies of a P Bass, it's been discussed on here so often by all the P Bass tone afficionados.

The frequenies are called "Classic P-Bass Thump"[/quote]

Ha ha You omitted the smiley there mate. :)

[quote name='GaryTheBassMan' post='830576' date='May 7 2010, 12:37 PM']Wow, calm down :) lol I thought this was meant to be a friendly place!! lol

Obviously everyone doesnt know cos I dont and I just wanted to know if someone could help :S

Guess it wasnt the place to come! Sorry!

Gary[/quote]
Sorry mate, I was kidding, just having a little joke :rolleyes:

Good luck with your exams and assignments!

EDIT: Do these help?
[url="http://www.stereophile.com/musicrecordings/338/"]http://www.stereophile.com/musicrecordings/338/[/url]
[url="http://pages.physics.cornell.edu/courses/p204/Termpapers/JohnZinderTermPaper09.pdf"]http://pages.physics.cornell.edu/courses/p...TermPaper09.pdf[/url]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='GaryTheBassMan' post='830592' date='May 7 2010, 12:47 PM']Haha Im propper stressing over assinements atm, easily annoyed and all!! Hopefully will be out of the way soon thankfully!!

Gary[/quote]

Hey Gary
Don't go away again. Now you've found us :rolleyes: We're friendly really.
Good luck with the assignment.
You should read [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=87159&view=findpost&p=829849"]this thread on mids[/url]
and ask your question there too :lol:
Lots of knowledgeable people on there.

haha its okay silddx, I sort of realised after reading it through again in a different tone!! lol This links were awsome though!! The second one will be a big help!! Thanks!!

I wont go away dont worry!! Theres way too much interesting stuff on here for that and you guys are a BIG help too!! thanks!! Ill be sure to check out that thread soon!!

THANKS TO YOU ALL!! Little bit less stressed now!! lol

[quote name='GaryTheBassMan' post='830634' date='May 7 2010, 01:22 PM']haha its okay silddx, I sort of realised after reading it through again in a different tone!! lol This links were awsome though!! The second one will be a big help!! Thanks!!

I wont go away dont worry!! Theres way too much interesting stuff on here for that and you guys are a BIG help too!! thanks!! Ill be sure to check out that thread soon!!

THANKS TO YOU ALL!! Little bit less stressed now!! lol[/quote]
Glad to have cleared that up!

All the best, mate.

EDIT: Actually, now I've had a closer read of the links, the Stereophile link is really interesting. It describes the relationship between the fundamental and the harmonic series as a response curve on an open E on a Precision Bass, in deep detail and with the graph displayed. That's the sort of thing people need to know and affects tone signature and timbre much more than this illusion of frequency spikes. Saying there is a spike at 500Hz is not really helpful as it depends on the note you are playing.

That was my joke really, that people guess what the "Classic P Bass Thump" is in terms of frequency.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='830904' date='May 7 2010, 06:28 PM']I don't understand the question. :)[/quote]
I think Gary is asking if there is a scientific analysis of the natural sonic signature, the timbre, of a P Bass. Of course they all vary, but I suppose it simply comes from where exactly a split humbucker is placed between the bridge and nut on a 34 scale bass with a body like a P Bass. I can't see there's much else involved.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='830946' date='May 7 2010, 07:27 PM'][url="http://www.aptuner.com/"]This tuner program[/url] produces a graph of harmonics when you play into it, which might be handy for doing your own analysis.[/quote]
That's the sort of thing you need, a rudimentary spectrum analyser.

Good find.

Edited by silddx