Why become a member? ×

Another 'Bass Cellar Sucks' post...

Moos3h

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='830858' date='May 7 2010, 05:44 PM']Wrong? How so?.
Are you saying that its not a tourist area or its not understandable that prices are higher?

I was replying to the post about a set of DR Black Beauties for £40. Strings direct sell them for £35 so a £5 mark up is pretty normal i would have said.
No one was talking about the 6 string set.[/quote]

Yes I know which strings the post was about, I'm getting at the "west end" prices, fair enough it's a tourist are but in essence this is the main reason the axe fell on music ground, ridiculous prices and rude staff. £5 I can understand but £20 is a bit of a joke tbh.

I went in a couple of weeks ago and they were perfectly pleasant, gotta say. Bought some EB strings at an OK price (about £1-2 more than internet but I needed them pronto so was happy to pay the extra). There was a bit of a strange older guy - when I asked how much the 51P bass cost (a stonking £799) he disputed my comment that they are stopping this model in the UK (which was what someone on BassChat had said in a post; his face dropped when I mentioned BassChat by the way :) ) and finally he offered to sell me his original 50s P bass for £15,000! Errr, no thanks

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='JackLondon' post='830902' date='May 7 2010, 06:26 PM']Yes I know which strings the post was about, I'm getting at the "west end" prices, fair enough it's a tourist are but in essence this is the main reason the axe fell on music ground, ridiculous prices and rude staff. £5 I can understand but £20 is a bit of a joke tbh.[/quote]

Fair enough but this still doesnt show how im wrong, as you pointed out.

In the 30 odd years ive been going in to the west end ive always found prices to be high.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='830912' date='May 7 2010, 06:56 PM']Fair enough but this still doesnt show how im wrong, as you pointed out.

In the 30 odd years ive been going in to the west end ive always found prices to be high.[/quote]

By Worng I meant that just becauses a business is situated in West End does not mean it gives them the right to rip people off. I can undesrtand slightly inflated prices but not what some of the music shops in demark st were doing. I think that if they understood that more custom will come from more reasonable prices they would make a good living but not with what they're charging. I've seen profit margins of more than 400% in my life but that doesn't mean the company was right to charge those prices. For this reason I am very picky with my shopping because I'm aware how much things cost the seller, call me a cynic Or whatever you want but I stand by my belief, west end location does not give rights to high prices and is actually very bad for the business.