Why become a member? ×

Fat Fingers

Greydad

In my 8 weeks so far of playing double bass my right index (plucking finger) has become noticeably larger than my left index finger :)

Is this normal for a double bass player? Or is something going horribly wrong? :rolleyes:

Callouses I expected: physical enlargement of my limbs and extremities as a consequence of the move from electric bass has never been mentioned here.

What else can I expect? Will my right arm lengthen until my knuckle scrape along the ground? Do I have to switch to playing lefty for a while to even things up?

:lol:

Neil

[quote name='Greydad' post='825629' date='May 2 2010, 04:46 PM']In my 8 weeks so far of playing double bass my right index (plucking finger) has become noticeably larger than my left index finger :)

Is this normal for a double bass player? Or is something going horribly wrong? :rolleyes:

Callouses I expected: physical enlargement of my limbs and extremities as a consequence of the move from electric bass has never been mentioned here.

What else can I expect? Will my right arm lengthen until my knuckle scrape along the ground? Do I have to switch to playing lefty for a while to even things up?

:lol:

Neil[/quote]

doesn't sound right to me. Do you suffer any pain when you pluck the strings.

[quote name='marvin spangles' post='826613' date='May 3 2010, 05:10 PM']doesn't sound right to me. Do you suffer any pain when you pluck the strings.[/quote]

Nope, not at all - it's just become pretty beefy. Feels like muscle, just a bit surprised it's so noticeable. I have been playing a lot though.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='826201' date='May 3 2010, 09:07 AM']You married?[/quote]

Yes. She does seem to have become unusually cheerful since I took up double bass, but I put that down to the fact I'm now out of the house playing most nights...

[quote name='Greydad' post='826632' date='May 3 2010, 05:25 PM']Nope, not at all - it's just become pretty beefy. Feels like muscle, just a bit surprised it's so noticeable. I have been playing a lot though.[/quote]

you don't have muscles in your fingers

I appreciate that, but none of the things I've diligently researched so far describes it - there's no movement restriction, pain or tenderness. I have played a lot this last three days so I may well have just overcooked it. I'll be resting it for a few days anyway so I'll see how it goes - if it stays the same I'll pop in and see the doc.

I have sausages for fingers anyway so I didn't notice any enlargement except for the tip of my little finger on my left hand.

It sometimes resembles a chupa chup after a long gig :)

My girlfriend did remark on the strength of my hands though, I guess I sqeeze harder than I realise when we hold hands.

Edited by TPJ