Why become a member? ×

Pro Toolz

Kiwi

A few things, firstly, how to set up external MIDI gear so I can use it for playback and secondly how to set up the connections using an Aux channel so i can record MIDI playback as audio.

Audio is a breeze but MIDI is a real pain.

You [i]should[/i] be able to route a MIDI track's output to any MIDI port on your hardware using that track's output popup. As for recording the output, I would just use an ordinary audio track. You can't record into AUX tracks, which are more for effects returns and the like. I haven't used MIDI much in Pro Tools, so I can't really be more help than that, sorry.

Edited by ~tl

The tutorial I'm using recommends using an aux channel to route the MIDI output to an audio track. The problem for me in setting up MIDI is that there are many naming options and many setting options and its sometimes not clear what is a name and what is a setting. I can still get things set up but its not clear for example, why I can't hear a piece of hardware when I've set up the I/O options, assigned the right MIDI channels on the hardware and set up the audio channels OK. Yet when I select a MIDI channel that is not the channel assigned to that particular piece of hardware, I can suddenly hear its audio output...

...and despite saving the settings as part of the session, I can never seem to recall them!

It was so much simpler in Cubase.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='823507' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:40 PM']It was so much simpler in Cubase.[/quote]

And it still is mate.. :)

Tons of stuff on you tube for pro-tools and midi set up.

Start here .
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvWLIG0dvo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvWLIG0dvo[/url]

Hope life is good in NZ Steve.

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='832932' date='May 10 2010, 11:45 AM']Sorry Garry, I didn't see your post. Thanks for that!

Yes on the whole life is pretty good. Hopefully will get better when my boss goes on maternity leave...[/quote]

Looks like we are finally on the move to Spain at last.
5 months of things going wrong..[ people not getting their act together- Solicitors mainly]
All set for the end of July. :rolleyes:
UK might have a Prime Minister by then...not that i care :)

Garry