Why become a member? ×

Books

skywalker

Please accept my apologies if this has been aired before - but:-

Which Bass books have you guys (and gals) found to be the best when learning the things you do??

It would be good to have a reference thread for people who want to learn (either from scratch or different elements of bass playing), so rather than trawl through an endless list of books on Amazon, we have a place to go and look what is best.

For me (recently working on walking), I have used the Ed Frieldland "Constructing Walking Bass Lines" which has been superb.

Any more suggestions??

Steve

Edited by skywalker

[quote name='lee4' post='89585' date='Nov 16 2007, 07:32 PM']Bass Bible by Paul Westwood.Styles from around the world.[/quote]

A great book but ( unless they've improved it with recent editions) make sure you can read notation as the tab comtains a lot of typos.

Cheers,
Alun

+1 on Stuart Clayton, especially for beginners (that's me, two years ago).
+1 on Ed Friedland, I don't think he's done a duff book yet.

My personal favourite (given that I play mainly blues) is [b]Blues Bass[/b] by Friedland, in the [i]Hal Leonard Bass Method[/i] series. Arguably the best £8.95 I have yet spent. A huge amount of information, all of it useful and useable, presented in a very sensible way.

Having played on/off since the 80's I only decided to make the effort to learn some theory in the last couple of years. I've found the following contain some really useful stuff which have definitely helped my playing...

"100 Tips for Bass Guitar" and "Giants of Bass" - both by Stuart Clayton. The latter makes a really good read as well, if you want some background and an essential discography on some iconic players.

"101 Bass tips" and "Fingerboard Harmony for Bass" both by Gary Willis are also worth a try.