Why become a member? ×

More treble from Dimarzio model 1

Mr. Foxen

Cause of a misunderstanding my bass ended up with a model 1 in the bridge position. Not ideally suited, being a trebly position with a bassy pickup. I wired it up the default way, not sure if that is series or parallel, is one of those configurations likely to give me some more top? Other option is coil tapping it, however, since that is the pickup that is going through my drive pedals, not sure if the resulting hum might be an issue.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='818767' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:19 AM']Cause of a misunderstanding my bass ended up with a model 1 in the bridge position. Not ideally suited, being a trebly position with a bassy pickup. I wired it up the default way, not sure if that is series or parallel, is one of those configurations likely to give me some more top? Other option is coil tapping it, however, since that is the pickup that is going through my drive pedals, not sure if the resulting hum might be an issue.[/quote]

[url="http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf"]http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf[/url]

According to this, wiring in parallel will cancel hum, give you more highs, and an overall clearer sound, at the expense of lowered output sensitivity.

However, the pickup seems rated as 7/5/8 for treble/mid/bass by dimarzio, which would leave me to think that it's the usual position of the pup, and not's it's inherent tonality, that gives it most of it's bassiness. So in the bridge position, it should be more treble-oriented anyways.

How does it sound?

[quote name='escholl' post='818775' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:37 AM'][url="http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf"]http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf[/url]

According to this, wiring in parallel will cancel hum, give you more highs, and an overall clearer sound, at the expense of lowered output sensitivity.

However, the pickup seems rated as 7/5/8 for treble/mid/bass by dimarzio, which would leave me to think that it's the usual position of the pup, and not's it's inherent tonality, that gives it most of it's bassiness. So in the bridge position, it should be more treble-oriented anyways.

How does it sound?[/quote]

Sounds dark, like a heavily overwound pickup.

Will have to take it apart and see if I can wire it in parallel. Might sort a push/pull coil tap. Not looking forward to delving into the gubbins of this bass again, had enough fun with my mono/stereo switching.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='818778' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:53 AM']Sounds dark, like a heavily overwound pickup.

Will have to take it apart and see if I can wire it in parallel. Might sort a push/pull coil tap. Not looking forward to delving into the gubbins of this bass again, had enough fun with my mono/stereo switching.

[/quote]

Ooh, that has a nice look to it. Did you get the mono/stereo thing sorted in the end then?

I always feel that way about my bass whenever I have to go back and do something else, but in the end it is always worth it, if only for the fact that I stop thinking about it all the time -- it always just feels good knowing it's done.

I had a Model One on my bass for a while, and I found that having the pickup split gave a clearer, more likeable sound than in parallel, and the output was better. The hum was not noticable, but I don't use much distortion. However it was wired, the Dimarzio was still a lot less bright than the Darkstar thats on there now, so I think it's an inherently dark sounding pickup.

I use a lot of distortion, from this pickup especially. Considering modifying it to have a bar pole guitar pickup in there. Wiring in parallel certainly helped, but my other tweaks are still in progress, a low cut tone pot on the bridge. Plus the wiring is now a horrible mess so I'm starting again.

• 2 weeks later...

Wired the bridge to parallel, and managed to cook the switch that I used for mono/stereo and maplins have none left, so now its hardwired stereo, and it sounds great, need to get it up to volume with pedals to proper test, bust seems promising.