Why become a member? ×

think i have a problem with my truss rod!!!

[attachment=48208:10467715...2870.JPG.jpeg]Hi Guys
, need some advice,
bought this nice bass from bulgaria (i took a chance )and there are a few bits that are nigly Couple of joint gaps neck pick up could slighty be better positiond and the bridge seems to set a little out or not back enough.its been made lovely, i just done the action and intonation,the neck is gorgeous and it looks great , it sounds the nuts through my tascam bass trainer!!! :lol:
but i got a Major issue with the truss rod ssems to be 'dropping' out of the bass.
in the original picys you can just see the trust rod nut under the neck, when the bass arrived i noticed that the nut seems to be so far down in the little cavity that you put youre allen key into and i doubt wether you can now get an allen key in there. :rolleyes: :lol: :)
Bit gutted and dont know what to do i could leave it but i think the truss rod could do with a little turn to get the action nicer and worried that i shouldnt leave it like that.
i suppose i cant grumble the bass only set me back £650.00 but want it to be right :-
a.beacause i want to feel comfortable about the bass
b.if i want to sell it i the future i wont sell it with a any issues

any thoughts?
pictures show the nut/rod before and after delivery.
kindest regards.
ziggy.

Edited by ziggydolphinboy

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='817622' date='Apr 24 2010, 09:45 PM'][attachment=48208:10467715...2870.JPG.jpeg]Hi Guys, need some advice,...

i suppose i cant grumble the bass only set me back £650.00 but want it to be right :-
a.beacause i want to feel comfortable about the bass
b.if i want to sell it i the future i wont sell it with a any issues

any thoughts?
pictures show the nut/rod before and after delivery.
kindest regards.
ziggy.[/quote]

I take it the third pic is the truss rod now, today, as it is? It doesn't look nice at first glance, but fill us in a bit more:

1: Is the truss rod nut just flapping about in the slot all loose?

2: If it is, with the bass upright (on your lap, say), lift the truss nut up (i.e. push it back into the neck) - does it feel like there's any weight on it? (A truss rod is about 2 foot of steel bar, but the nut weighs almost nothing, so you should be able to judge if the bar is loose or if it's just the nut that has become detached.)

3: If the answer to 2 is "I reckon it's just the nut come off somehow", can you tighten it with an allen/hex key? Or does it just go round & round and then plop back out again?

4: What's the current relief like? Any chance of a photo looking down or up the neck?

5: You %^&&£$?!! well can grumble! If I'd pulled the trigger on "only" £650 & found a problem like that, the air would be blue, the builder's phone line would be red hot & he'd need fireproof ears. As it's from Bulgaria, you may just have to lump it though.

A shame (possibly), it's a very pretty thing.

Pete.

Hi Pete,
i just played it again this morning and it plays amazing and sounds awesome (its got nortstrands and opb3 in it).
soo i defo wana keep it,
i dont know what series the pictures are in but yes its the picture with the string missing where the nut has dropped down, i cant get an allen key in there
so i may try (carefully) a pair of bullnosed pliers with a cloth round them just to start it off then get an allen key in it.

i cant seem to push the rod back in or up as you said but i can wiggle the silver nut a lilttle bit so i hope its just come lose,
illl read your'e reply again and let you know.
thank you for your'e time .
kindest regards
ziggy.

Hi Pete,
I just took the A string off and pushed the nut right up into the neck untill it stopped :) :rolleyes: so i hope it just came loose,
ill try and give it a turn to make sure its on the rod properly if i could just adjust the rod a slight bit the neck and action etc will be the nuts!
cant wait to listen to this bass through my amp.
kindest regards
ziggy

[quote name='gafbass02' post='818208' date='Apr 25 2010, 05:09 PM']!£!£$!%$!$! that thing is lush!!!!![/quote]

cheers fella i am pleased i took a chance on this baby, if you look at the elrick jazz basses its just a copy but for a third of the price,
it has vol,pup sel,bass/ treble,mid,passive tone contol, mid swicth and passive/active swicth, and nortstrands 18v!!
its very pretty and the neck is just right, if i could save and get some la bella super steps on it the action would be perfect, but its lovely as it is.
ta matey.

It's common for truss rods to have a nut which can be undone and taken out of the bass.

Sounds like the neck is pretty stiff and doesn't need the rod to hold it's position. Tighten up the truss rod nut so it's [i][b]just snug [/b][/i]and that'll be fine.

Some truss rod nuts have a lot of thread on them so it seems that you're turning them for ages before they start tightening up.