Why become a member? ×

More on lightweight amps

ead

As I'm getting a bit old and knackered the time has come to sell (reluctantly) my trusty HA5500 to replace it with something a bit more portable . I've been looking at the lw threads with interest but the price of some the stuff is on the high side for my budget (e.g. the LM3 which sounds great), plus at the end of the day I know I'm not going to win any bass playing competitions I just like to chug along in the groove and enjoy playing - strictly no slapping, it just doesn't look right when you're pushing 50 :)

I play in a rock band with two guitars so need the 500W or so on offer from the HA5500 to make my presence felt and ruffle hair and trousers. Have any of you encoutered the Carvin BX500 or the Hartke LM500 in your travels, more my budget really and both getting a decent write up in BGM.

I like the tone I get from the HA5500 and having taken up Larry's offer to phone him, had a very enjoyable 20 minute conversation with him about all kinds of bass stuff so feel a bit of brand loyalty so please don't tell me it's pants.

Interested to hear views. Thanks

I know of harkte LH500, played through one with mathing hydrive cabs, it's a nice modern hifi sound IMO, although too cold and clinical for me.

I'm just getting a Orange BT with my Barefaced compact, which will wiegh about 18kgs that's nothing compared to alot of the main stream 'light wieght' rigs on the Market.

Know 'of' the Carvin amps but having only ever played though one of their amps (cyclops combo iirc) I wouldn't deem that a fair opportunity to pass judgement. As you say the LH500 gets very good reviews and I've not heard bad reports so if you have an affinity/loyalty to the brand I'd say for the money your not likely to get better. However... it isn't a lightweight amp in the sense that some of the latest digital/switching amps are lightweight! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='810693' date='Apr 18 2010, 08:37 PM']However... it isn't a lightweight amp in the sense that some of the latest digital/switching amps are lightweight! :)[/quote]

Yeah, it says about 10kgs on the spec sheet, but still about half the weight of the current beast. 3kgs sounds like heaven to me though :rolleyes: