Why become a member? ×

How did you become a double bass player?

setekh

I am so envious of you guys. I tried, I hurt, I moved on. My left hand still gives me trouble 6 years on and I have real trouble when my left hand is higher than my shoulder, which it would be a lot on most DB gigs (even to the point that, when I tune my Wal, I have to rest my arm between tuning the E & A strings because the muscles just can't hold that position for too long).

So I try to may my electric do a similar job. I do ok but I really wish I could sound like Marc Johnson!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='439996' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:50 AM']... I do ok but I really wish I could sound like Marc Johnson![/quote]
Don't we all :)

The double bass was thrust upon me in High School. Originally I took hold of it left handed (I'm a lefty by nature) but the music teacher said "no no" and made me learn righty. That's been a blessing in disguise. I took it up again in Uni whilst studying the Tuba and then played it off and on since then. Now it's my main thing for our original stuff.

It really is the most fun instrument IMO.

I realised that I loved the sound of double bass when I was little, from hearing Danny Thompson on my parents' Pentangle records. I ended up playing guitar and electric bass (from the ages of about 9 and 13 respectively), and managed to borrow a double bass and have a couple of lessons when I was about 17 (I'm 28 now). Unfortunately, I had to give it back later on! Then spent a couple of years playing an EUB before I got back in to double bass about 4 years ago. I was playing in bands with lots of acoustic instruments, and the EUB just didn't seem right. I've just recently got back to having lessons again - should have done that earlier!
I'm another public transport user, by the way. Lothian buses around Edinburgh mostly, though I'll also get the train through to Glasgow if I need to. I've been surprised by how few bus drivers have a problem with it, though there's the occasional awkward bugger!

My twopenn'orth (if anyones interested!) played trombone as a kid, bought a bass guitar (well my mum did) at 15 so I could get some gigs (none on the 'bone at the time) been playing BG ever since (35 years) still gigging, never really got any better, still loving it tho'. Tried out an East Coast (Stagg clone) EUB after Christmas, fell in love, bought it and now use it regularly with the church band I play in, also sounds great with Stray Cat Strut and some of the old rockers we do in my main covers band. Sounds strange, but.......I kind of feel a more physical connection with the EUB than the BG, so basically, I'm very happy, trouble is, as the rest of the band like it too, I need to take both with me on gigs!!!

I've always found my taste in music has evolved as I grow older. Bass playing has been no exception. In 2001 I hadn't played bass for 7 years but had the offer to dep with a local jazz band. After a series of coincidences I took up the offer and played BG with them. I felt the natural progression was into DB. Never looked back.