Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT; 1970's original blue line

rockinbassgirl

Hi everyone,

I have an Ampeg SVT head; original blue line made in Linden, New Jersey around 1970. I've decided to put it up for sale and would appreciate advice on a price point. I've searched the internet, called vintage gear suppliers, even called Ampeg and can't seem to get an idea of what this rare original would be worth. It's in excellent condition with only a few small skin tears - what I call 'touring scars" but works like a charm. It sounds amazing. Any idea what I should sell it for?

Thanks, Rockinbassgirl

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='809749' date='Apr 17 2010, 07:22 PM']Yep, carry the energy from the nuclear plants. Covers that whole 'diggers run on oil' thing. Run on hydrogen, dig up the uranium, to power the plants.

Eventually we sort fusion, to replace the fission plants, just like how we figured running stuff on hydrogen to replace the oil powered stuff.[/quote]

[quote name='rockinbassgirl' post='809815' date='Apr 17 2010, 08:17 PM']Mr. Foxen...do you have any numbers that would convey "quite alot"?

thanks RBG (Rockinbassgirl)[/quote]

A lot, but not as much as a digger that runs on hydrogen, I'd wager. :)

[quote name='rockinbassgirl' post='809807' date='Apr 17 2010, 08:09 PM']Hi everyone,

I have an Ampeg SVT head; original blue line made in Linden, New Jersey around 1970. I've decided to put it up for sale and would appreciate advice on a price point. I've searched the internet, called vintage gear suppliers, even called Ampeg and can't seem to get an idea of what this rare original would be worth. It's in excellent condition with only a few small skin tears - what I call 'touring scars" but works like a charm. It sounds amazing. Any idea what I should sell it for?

Thanks, Rockinbassgirl[/quote]

I think the Sky's the limit, with this sort of thing, my advice would be to get a quote for insured carriage to both home and abroad and offer it for auction with a high reserve of whatever fits for something similar and of that age. The Far Eastern players are desperate to get original 70s 80s gear and yes you have the hassle but it should give you a great payday. I would imagine a reserve of £300,... if after a good while there are no takers then withdraw and either try later or reduce the reserve £50 at a time but keep it "live" for at least 2 weeks. Its a starting point ..good luck!! :)

Best way to establish a price is to look out historic offer prices, price of modern equivalents - new and s/h prices. So:

A very quick rummage round google reveals the following 'offer' prices. Final prices unavailable:

[b]1970 SVT heads[/b]

$1400 - 2008
$1700 + shipping - Talkbass 2008
$3500 - ebay 2009
$1500 -2009
$3300 - 2010 - unsold
$1,400 Apr-15 2010 - sold at $1400 but a 1974
£1753 - Apr 18 - on ebay - unsold as yet

[b]Full Rig 1970 head with 8x10[/b]

US Retailers - 2008-2009

$2500
$2500
$2800

[b]Modern Equivalent - new[/b]

SVT Re-issue - Price new from UK online stores via google shopping- lowest £1198, average = £1700 or so

[b]Modern Equivalent S/H - Selected prices - Basschat 'Amps for sale'[/b]

SVT VR Rig offered at £1450
SVT 2 heads - circa £1000 or so?
SVT Classic - £800-900

Get some pics up and a fuller description -condition, voltage, when last tubed, etc., and some Ampeg experts will probably drop by presently and give a you a better picture of the market. You should achieve a good price for this desirable amp, but you'll probably get your best deal selling it to someone here :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Demand and prices for vintage amps can be pretty high, though it's always a question of supply and demand.
I put an early 1970s Hiwatt 200 on eBay and got interest from international and UK buyers - it sold for about £750
(new one were about £1400 at the time, but the price is much more now)
Ampeg SVTs are more powerful (300w), and arguably more prestigious, though perhaps less more plentiful.
If it's in good working order, and the condition is as described, I reckon you may be looking at around £1000, but a 'collector' may be willing to pay more.
Even the valves inside cost a fair bit!
As others have noted, I guess for any buyer there's a trade-off between getting a genuine vintage model, and buying the current version with warranty etc.