Why become a member? ×

Bassist You Wish You'd Got Into Earlier

theosd

Which bassist have you really just started to click with that you wish you'd considered before?

For me this would have to be Andy Fraser of free - such sublime rock bass! Everything he plays fits and I'm now sure is the driving force behind the band's groove, playing off everyone in the band yet maintaining his own personal genius.

+1 for Andy Rourke

Never liked the Smiths as I can't stand Morrisey's voice but I heard a session version of How Soon is Now on 6 Music this weekend and the bass playing was fantastic. I may have to borrow some Smiths albums, which is something I never thought I'd say! Johnny Marr's great too. The intro to how soon is now is one of the best of any song (IMHO).

[quote name='Doc B' post='88427' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:23 PM']+1 for Andy Rourke

Never liked the Smiths as I can't stand Morrisey's voice but I heard a session version of How Soon is Now on 6 Music this weekend and the bass playing was fantastic. I may have to borrow some Smiths albums, which is something I never thought I'd say! Johnny Marr's great too. The intro to how soon is now is one of the best of any song (IMHO).[/quote]

Yep, excellent bass player; you might start with these songs:

The Headmaster Ritual
The Queen is Dead
Barbarism Begins At Home (of course!)
Rubber Ring
This Charming Man

and [url="http://www.micturion.com/smiths/"]here is where to go[/url]

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='88008' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:41 PM']Steve Swallow[/quote]

Indeed.

For me, NHOP/Ray Brown/Oscar Pettiford as it may have pushed me into learning upright properly when i was younger.

I wish I got into someone like Dominique Dipiazza instead of Wooten.

[quote name='Weird War' post='88556' date='Nov 14 2007, 05:44 PM']Yep, excellent bass player; you might start with these songs:

The Headmaster Ritual
The Queen is Dead
Barbarism Begins At Home (of course!)
Rubber Ring
This Charming Man

and [url="http://www.micturion.com/smiths/"]here is where to go[/url][/quote]

Cheers!