Why become a member? ×

Gear4Music 2nds

Gear4Music 2nds.

On some international forums people say how they bought some "2nd" which has a few inconsequential scratches or something. But when Gear4Music sells a second, it always seems that there's some serious sh*t wrong with them.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neck-Thru-Bass-Case-by-Gear4music-Faulty-RRP-150_W0QQitemZ300415222979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item45f22484c3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neck-Thru-Bass-Case-...=item45f22484c3[/url]

How do you replace the neck on a neck through bass?

I can't believe someone purchased that for £58! I'm assuming you could "whip" the fretboard off and replace the truss rod, but i personally cannot be f****d on a bass of that value. Gear 4 Music will be laughing all the way to the bank. That is one of their own branded guitars, and probably cost them £20-£30 to import.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='804198' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:26 PM']Gear4Music 2nds.

On some international forums people say how they bought some "2nd" which has a few inconsequential scratches or something. But when Gear4Music sells a second, it always seems that there's some serious sh*t wrong with them.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neck-Thru-Bass-Case-by-Gear4music-Faulty-RRP-150_W0QQitemZ300415222979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item45f22484c3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neck-Thru-Bass-Case-...=item45f22484c3[/url]

How do you replace the neck on a neck through bass?[/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='804305' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:23 PM']I can't believe someone purchased that for £58! I'm assuming you could "whip" the fretboard off and replace the truss rod, but i personally cannot be f****d on a bass of that value. Gear 4 Music will be laughing all the way to the bank. That is one of their own branded guitars, and probably cost them £20-£30 to import.[/quote]

Can't believe anyone is bringing in Korean basses at £20-£30 these days, but then again, £169 for a bass from there sounds very low with everyone moving production out to Indonesia, Vietnam and China as Korea is too expensive.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='804326' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:39 PM']Can't believe anyone is bringing in Korean basses at £20-£30 these days, but then again, £169 for a bass from there sounds very low with everyone moving production out to Indonesia, Vietnam and China as Korea is too expensive.[/quote]

What's worrying though is firstly that the factory allowed that through their "quality control procedures" & secondly that Gear4Music actually state that it's a "factory fault" - oh that's OK then!!
Doesn't inspire confidence to buy a "top-of-the-range Gear4music bass" from them if that's the type of crap that gets turned out by the factory they deal with does it? One thing to note though is that they don't actually state that the bass is built in Korea - it just states Korean hardware. It's probably shipped in bits to a Chinese sweatshop for a load of poor exploited 6 year olds to assemble (mind you I think even kids could have done a better job on that!).

The trouble is that there are a lot of well made chinese basses and guitars out there now, the market is awash with them and unless you have something different or very special it's a hard market place now.
I have a new Crafter cruiser bass for sale here for what is peanuts, and it won't sell for almost half of its RRP and it's perfect in every way. Same with the Cort Action also on here.

I think the Cruiser bass looks very nice. And at £120, it's competitively priced compared to (say) £199 @ Hartnoll Guitars. But, as you say, there's lots of stuff out there, and people just can't buy everything that's a nice bass and well priced. Or at least, I can't.

Have you considered offering an alternative to the Mars Bar for those who are lactose intolerant or strict vegetarians?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='tazza1' post='804394' date='Apr 12 2010, 11:25 PM']Doesn't inspire confidence to buy a "top-of-the-range Gear4music bass" from them if that's the type of crap that gets turned out by the factory they deal with does it? One thing to note though is that they don't actually state that the bass is built in Korea - it just states Korean hardware. It's probably shipped in bits to a Chinese sweatshop for a load of poor exploited 6 year olds to assemble (mind you I think even kids could have done a better job on that!).[/quote]

Could it be like some of the ESP guitars? Where the basic woodwork and finishing is done in China (allegedly) and then it's shipped to Korea (Japan for ESP) to be finally put together and for the latter stages of finishing?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='804613' date='Apr 13 2010, 09:57 AM']Could it be like some of the ESP guitars? Where the basic woodwork and finishing is done in China (allegedly) and then it's shipped to Korea (Japan for ESP) to be finally put together and for the latter stages of finishing?[/quote]

Yes, I guess "parts - Korean" is very vague but surely "parts" should be more than hardware - a neck (OK I know this one's through neck) is a part as is a body. All seems a bit underhand to me.