Why become a member? ×

I blew up my SWR Electric Blue Head

Bilbo

I did a gig with it a couple of weeks ago and it went 'microphonic'.

Took it to a rehearsal yesterday and my Wal sounded like it had been eq'd to play the theme to Rhubard and Custard - yes, REALLY like that -ni ni ni noooooooow, ni ni ni noooooow ni ni ni ninty nowwwwwwwwww. Changed guitar, leads and speakers so confirmed its demise, Now with the repairers :). Its hard being me sometimes :rolleyes:

If its gone 'microphonic', it might just need a new pre-amp valve...I had a problem like this with a marshall guitar combo. It was an easy fix in the end - just replaced the offending pre-amp valve...no biasing or anything like that to worry about with pre-amp valves.

Depending on ease of access, you can tell if a pre-amp valve has become microphonic by tapping it whilst the amp is on...not that I'd suggest taking anything apart to gain access before switching the amp on - it's just the valves were accessible on the marshall combo I had, so it was an easy test.

Hope you get it sorted!

Yep, sorry, should have been a bit more specific and assumed my comment would make sense.

These valves last eons anyway, so you might not have come across it before..
I have changed mine in a SM400 once in 20 years or so...and even then, I am not so sure it really needed it.

As far as the change goes, it is dead easy... just lid off and swap out the valve.
Not sure how much they cost so your workshop might have one to prove this is indeed the problem before you put a new one in.
Hopefully they will have them lying around as they are dead common in the pre amp stage of amps...IME.