Why become a member? ×

Roland Bass Cube 30

whynot

Just thought I would share my experiance soundwise of a gig I did yesterday.
Did another one for Club Wembley. Managed to get good seats when not playing and see the match for free, but thats another story.
So I decided to take my Roland Cube 30 as my usual lightweight rig was overkill for the volumn this band need to play at.
I could not believe the sound I was getting. Unmodified US Jazz Deluxe into the Cube. Used the TE model setting which is meant to be a Trace I understand.
Virtually all tones set flat on the bass and amp with a little compression on the cube. It was kicking for all styles. But what impressed me most was when we played more jazz orientated tunes. The bass was singing on those swing lines, high and low. This was alongside a live drummer, keys and vocals. We did DI and was coming through the ceiling speakers close to the back of the room but this was not obvoius at all on stage.
So any electric jazzers should maybe consider a cube30. Can be had for £70-£80 used. Compare that to the high-end mini combo prices. Worth checking out.
Only downside I could see was the lack on onboard DI out but other than that I was well impressed.

It obviously had enough volume to cut through the drums then? I took my BLX80 to a gig last Saturday and had to turn it up to 5 to cut through the mix on stage

[quote name='bassman2790' post='803188' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:58 PM']It obviously had enough volume to cut through the drums then?[/quote]
For this type of laid back gig it did and I still had some volumn to spare. Pleasantly surprised.
Wouldn't dream of using it in a normal band environment as in your average pub gig etc as it would get lost but as Doddy points out there is the 100.